Remove small dents from stainless steel fridge

Any tips on how to achieve the above? Have a Fisher & Paykel brushed stainless steel fridge that has acquired a few small dents from children and adults alike. The kind of dent you'd get in a car door if another car door bumped into it in a car park.

It may not be worth trying anything at all and just living with it, but if there are any tried and tested techniques I'd be glad to hear of them.

(I don't own an angle grinder, and I'm all out of car body filler...)

TIA!

Matt

Reply to
larkim

Hmm, options limited then .. ;)

Glazing suckers/dent pullers maybe?

I guess a lot depends on the 'sharpness' of the dents, if they're creased then it's unlikely you'll do anything good to them. If they're just depressions it may be possible to 'suck' them out, or at least get them nearer to flat.

Getting to the underside would give a far better choice of method and chance of successful recovery. ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

You could try a suction cup type dent puller as sold for minor dents on cars. Speak to your local mobile stonechip fixer if you don't want to take a chance.

Reply to
John Williamson

do you have to find the local prozzie that can suck a golf ball through a hose pipe for that job?

Reply to
Gazz

Nah, ask your wife nicely ..

Reply to
Paul - xxx

I would say leave it alone, you don;t stand a chance of getting a good finish.

Baz

Reply to
Baz

That may well be the best option!

Matt

Reply to
larkim

Some have had good results with freezer spray (or inverted airduster) on cars:

google for 'dent removal freezer spray'.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Without access to the rear of the panel, and decent panel beating skills and tools, you are probably stuffed, since the alternative car style repair of filling, sanding, and refinishing does not sound like its going to be an option either!

Dent pullers etc only really work on larger sized dents, and preferably those without much creasing or stretching of the metal.

Reply to
John Rumm

Dent pulling is a skilled job. And even with the skills you're not going to get a properly flat finish. You could take it to a panel beater, but I doubt the result would look much better without filler. Perhaps you could stick fridge magnets over the damage.

NT

Reply to
NT

I think Baz has put it very well/succinctly.

You need to get at the back of a panel to apply regular panel beating techniques (ie completely strip & remove insulation).

Dressing out the ding would ruin the brushed effect on the outer so expect to have the panel completely refinished, theeeeeen, refinish all other panels to make them match the repaired one ;-).

Is there any truth in the rumour that you thought this would be the case and are posting here to placate your other half?

Reply to
fred

Made us laugh.

IMHO take it to a bodyshop, get it filled (yes, car body filler), refinished with the true and proper finish for white goods - paint. (Mind the bodyshop should be able to do a pretty good match to an extremely wide range of colours if white isn't desired.) Or live with it, dents and all.

Reply to
polygonum

See if any of the companies that do car dent removal use a magnetic induction heating tool, and are intereted in using the same to repair your fridge?

Andy Burns

You *might* have had a faint chance of an invisible repair on large dents, but small? Naah. On brushed stainless, the quickest and probably cheapest option is to buy a sheet of brushed stainless, possibly with four edges appropriately bent, and sticking it on (silicone, double sided tape, whatever).

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

acquired

Magnetic induction, stainless steel, hum...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

It works on copper.

Reply to
John Williamson

And tubas, apparently.

Reply to
Andy Burns

DentMaster? They get impossible dents out of cars.

Reply to
Geoff Pearson

And you can happily induce currents in aluminum. Came across this being used as a brake on huge wide-format digital photographic printers. Very neat.

Reply to
polygonum

Fun with magnets in thick walled copper tube

Andy Burns