Remove fingerprints from Stainless Steel Cooker Hood

Chimney type and just installed.

Followed suggestion to use Windolene. This helped a little but also seems to have widened the marks.

Surely they can't be this easy to stain?

Ideas?

Reply to
Wesley

DRY Microfibre cloth works for stainless splashback here.

Reply to
Dan

The old contract cleaners trick is Johnson's Baby oil.

Seriously. It works.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

My cooker hood came with one sample oil-impregnated cleaning cloth

that price I didn't buy any more ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

We use Johnsons baby oil on our SS cooker. Forget where the idea came from but it give a nice even finish with no fingerprints.

Reply to
pcb1962

They flippin are I had to move ours and wrapped in newspaper to protect it then of course it was awkward to position while attaching nuts & bolts to secure it. So got a couple of marks where the tape was and a few fingerprints, it doesnt come off with hot soapy water.

I will try the baby oil

Reply to
ss

Yes. It does.

Reply to
S Viemeister

I used to have to use it to clean and polish the automatic ticket barriers at the railway station. They get awfully mucky and there's a lot of them.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

The problem with abrasives is that they remove printed lettering on yer SS finish.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

even better. Printed lettering on SS looks naff. It should be etched or engraved.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

We use Barkeeper's Friend on our stainless splashback, before finishing off with a microfibre cloth. Looks better if you 'lay off' as if you were painting.

Reply to
Apellation Controlee

Yes, it does.

But surely the Other Answer is also appropriate: WD40...

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

Windolene is mostly fine chalk. If there's any texture or grain for it to penetrate, it will. Great on glass but I've seen it leave a fine deposit on other surfaces. The trade uses tomato ketchup to clean s/s but that's mainly where hard water is a problem.

Reply to
stuart noble

Having had S/S faced appliances in a previous house, I'd never have it again. I see little point in having a finish that is hard to keep clean in a kitchen.

Reply to
Huge

Right. I'm off to Boots for some baby oil :-)

Reply to
Wesley

I also see no point in those worktops where you can't tell if it needs cleaning or not. I'm sorry I ever got conned into getting rid of the pale coloured one that showed every mark. Women just have to replace everything it seems.

Reply to
stuart noble

It'll look good at first but will accumulate grime

Reply to
stuart noble

I still have lots of marks on mine from installation. Fingerprints are grease, so washing up liquid should do it. Or white spirit. Not tried it but by all reports baby oil works - I don't really like the idea of them squeezing babies though. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

In article , Huge writes

What he said.

Bought a big American style side-by-side fridge/freezer some years ago with stainless steel doors. Big mistake. But agreed that baby oil works.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

FWIW I had a Siemens SS dishwasher that had a 'no fingerprint' boast on the marketing blurb - and it worked.

Rob

Reply to
RJH