Removing scratches from brushed steel chimney hood

Hello

We've just had a new kitchen put in and we had a few scratches on our brushed steel extractor chimney hood (not deep, but surface ones that made the surface shiny). The chap fitting it used something looking like sandpaper (black) and soap to magic them out. I was highly sceptical but it worked. Anyway, we've since had to take the extractor down and unfortunately we've put 3 new similar scratches in it.

I can't find this "magic" product (if there is any particular product), so I wonder if anyone either knows what it is or how I can get them out otherwise?

Thanks in advance.

Rob H P.S. Asking the person concerned is not an option!

Reply to
Rob H

unfortunately

sound like your trying to describe wet & dry paper you will find some at halfords or any car place..

Reply to
ady2°°4©

Is that all it was! Makes sense.

Thanks!

Rob H

Reply to
Rob H

Before you apply any abrasive to your brushed SS surface, experiment a little on an offcut (ant steel merchant will let you have a bit). Getting scratches out without making visible new ones, or polishing the surface flat is nigh on impossible.

Reply to
Grunff

On 08 Oct 2004, Rob H wrote

I wonder if he's used one of those light abrasive pastes one uses for removing light scratches on car bodywork? (The stuff you can buy in a tube in Halford's.)

Just a thought.

Reply to
Harvey Van Sickle

Yup. Soapy water and up to 600 grade grit will get you back to a brushed finish.

If you want satin or mirror its down to a buffing mop and T-cut.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In article , Harvey Van Sickle writes

Cutting fluid? Don't waste your money. Wet grade emery cloth, steel wool, household cleaning stuff of progressively less grittiness e.g. Vim, CiF, toothpaste, oil (frying oil will do). If it is brushed in one direction, use a rule or square so you keep with the lay of the existing 'grain'.

On 10 Oct 2004, Z wrote

-snip-

The oil: is that before or after you've done the chips in it?

Sorry, couldn't resist... ;)

Reply to
Harvey Van Sickle

I'll give this a go, as although the scratches are now out, there is clearly a dull 'patch', so I'm hoping this will do the trick!

Thanks

Rob H

Reply to
Rob H