Subject Author Posted Replies

Sub Floor vent
I need to install under floor vents that are below outside ground level. I know you can get telescopic air bricks, but that will involve I assume removing a lot of bricks to get the riser bit in. I...
2
2

The disability industry
Prices for a 33V 1A psu as used by stairlifts to charge the battery. Typical Amazon price: £18 Farnell: £26 Medical grade item: £76 Quoted by a stairlift supplier when a replacement was needed:...
12
12

OT: Flavours, Taste, Texture and Evolutionary Biology
Greetings gentlemen, Naturally whenever a recondite question arises concerning evolutionary biology, we turn to uk.d-i-y for an answer. I was just musing only the other day about this conundrum as I...
34
34

The gate lights (continued)
These pdfs might help people visualise what I'm trying to do. The jpgs are just for interest. Bill Dropbox is a free service that lets you bring your photos, docs, and videos anywhere and share them...
4
4

Useless things found on ebay number 437
apparently changes the plug on the end of a male DVI cable to.... er a male plug about 1 inch further away. So, it's a very small extension lead? Or a gender changer that well.... doesn't.
25
25

Replacing indoor mortice latches
Many of the mortice latches on my internal doors are not as smooth as I'd like. I think they're all about 20 years old, so I'm planning to replace them all at once rather than just replacing the bad...
10
10

OT: Laptop based music creation?
Hi all, Trying to help a young family member with a laptop based music creation solution. Apparently, her Chromebook (bought for WP / Web access, battery life and portability) will run the online...
2
2

Electric Car Chargers
Just curious (not clever enough to work it out) but why are 3 phase chargers more powerful than single phase fed ones? Is it just that the mains circuits have different capacities or is a 3 phase when...
5
5

Leaking H/W pressure release valve
Hi All, Well I think that's what it is. It looks similar one of these my situation the large black bit is positioned to the left and the other ports are Top - cold water feed to house Bottom - mains...
17
17

OT Syria gas attack was faked up.
Wikileaks today publishes an e-mail, sent by a member of an OPCW fact-finding mission to Syria to his superiors, in which he expresses his gravest concern over intentional bias introduced to a...
20
20

RAID - is it worth it?
Having successfully installed my 250GB SSD as drive C and the 150GB HDD as drive E, the computer (Dell Optiplex 780 currently running W7 but not for long, I hope) asks me if I want to configure the...
15
15

inductive?
I want to put some LED lights on my sliding gate. I wondered if I could power them inductively, with a power 'transmitter' fixed to the gatepost and a power 'receiver' on the gate, positioned so when...
61
61

Mouldy workshop roof
New house has a brick built workshop with a much neglected flat roof, felt over OSB. The roof is seriously mouldy in places - I can ram my wrecking bar right through it. Pitch is about 1 in 40. The...
10
10

Basic Heating System (no hot water) - what controls needed ?
Assuming a heat-only sysem with boiler, pump and radiators (emitters!!), apart from a thermostat what controls would be needed other than a timer ?. I assume that a programmable stat would do the...
6
6

RCD tripping.
Woke up this morning to find the RCD in the split load CU had tripped. Turned out to be something on the 1st floor ring. With that MCB off, no problems. Put it to on, and the RCD tripped again....
8
8