Stain blocking paint

Friend says you should not use stain blocking paint on wallpaper as it makes the wallpaper very difficult to remove in future. I have followed this and it is taking several coats of emulsion to obliterate the stain. It is lining paper in this case. Is my friend correct?

Reply to
Scott

It will probably make it harder to remove the wallpaper but it will with a bit of luck also do what it says on the tin and block the stain.

You have to choose. Most things will come off a wall once wetted with a sharp blade and a steady hand if all else fails.

Reply to
Martin Brown

The stain is likely to come through in a few weeks time. Use a stain block.

Reply to
alan_m

Thanks. As my follow up, how long do I need to leave the emulsion to dry before I can apply the stain block?

Reply to
Scott

If the stain is large enough maybe but most stains aren?t that big.

Reply to
Radio Man

Jim from ukra is experienced with dealing with bad stains, albeit in the gusset of his women?s drawers that he prances around in rather than on walls.

Reply to
Stephen Cole

I don't know, but repeated coats of the same stuff the stain comes through are pointless. Try oil based undercoat or stain blocker. OBU works almost all the time.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Although quite expensive I'm now a fan of the Zinsser Bulls Eye 1-2-3 water based sealer/primer which dries quickly and can be overpainted in an hour or two.

alan_m

How smelly is it? SWMBO'd can detect 1 part in 10 billion of organic solvent... low VOC paints are a no no, even some water based things get disapproving comment and instruction to open every window and door in the place.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Less than the smell of water based emulsion. On a warm day it dries very quickly, perhaps in less than 30 minutes (requiring swift application). If you need to ventilate it will only be for a very short period of time.

I find that with low VOC paints that they have much less smell than paints of the past but drying to a hard finish can take many days and the smell lingers for perhaps a week.

Reply to
alan_m

Sounds dubious. Does friend reckon the stain block soaks through the wallpaper & sticks it to the wall? Or just blocks steam from a future stripper?in which case score with a knife....

Reply to
Jimk

Depends on the paper the wall has on it, some is like blotting paper, some is not. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Couple of quid cheaper at Toolsatan.

Reply to