Wiki: Stain block

Feedback welcome...

NT

Stains on emulsion [[paint]]work often bleed through when painted over, and repeated coats of emulsion fail to block them. Any of the following can stop this happening them:

  • dilute [[Adhesive|PVA]]
  • a coat of oil based non-gloss paint, such as undercoat or eggshell
  • Stain block paint

Usually one coat is enough, but not always. The very worst stains can require alternating coats of emulsion and oil paint of stain block. Since oil paint is slow drying, stain block is then preferable.

==Fire== Staining of walls following a fire is a bit different to water staining, and aluminium primer is favoured. This forms a layer of aluminium flakes, blocking soluble staining and odour.

==See also==

  • [[Paint]]
  • [[Special:Allpages|Article Index]]
  • [[Special:Categories|Article Categories]]

[[Category:Cleaning]] [[Category:Decorating]] [[Category:Paint]]

Reply to
Tabby

Or shellac.

Reply to
F Murtz

What's with the alternating emulsion and oil paint, though? I just keep going with the oil paint until the stain has been buried, then switch to emulsion

David

Reply to
Lobster

How do you know how many coats of oil paint are required? It's not just (necessarily) "enough to visible hide the stain". The approach I use is "stain block/oil paint/pva/shellac" followed by "emulsion". If the stain still bleeds through, swear and then repeat. Keep going until the stain doesn't come through.

Reply to
Martin Bonner

Blimey. I just go stain block/stain block/emulsion (where numbers of coats of stain block are enough to cover the stain). Once it's invisible through the last layer stain block (two coats usually does it IME), it won't come through a covering of emulsion. Works for me anyway.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Usually works fine for me too. But I've encountered really bad stains where that's nowhere near enough. In fact I might have a pic of one somewhere.

NT

Reply to
Tabby