stain block

Hi All,

I need a small amount of stain block to cover some water damage to a ceiling (have been told this by a builder) - but it costs the earth and is sold is large tins or as a spray at my local B&Q - can I use universal primer instead (the spirit based non-acyclic version). Would universal primer work as well as stain block?

Alternatively what else could I use instead that would be cheap?

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Any solvent-based paint or varnish should stop a water stain coming through.

Reply to
Steve Walker

Try B.I.N stain killer available in 390ml tins up to large size and in a spray

alternative is an oil based paint such as gloss.

Good Luck

Reply to
Jason

Use diluted Unibond on an area slightly bigger than the stain and then paint with a couple of coats of normal emulsion paint - very successful in my case.

Cash

Reply to
Cash

shelac can work.

Reply to
F Murtz

Dilute some PVA adhesive and slosh it on. Worked for me.

Reply to
1501

I used some of this stuff

few years ago. It comes in 750ml cans and (IIRC) cost about £10. I don't recall where I bought it, but since the only non-trivial outlets around here is B & Q, I guess it was from there. It did the job, but needed 2 coats to completely cover some badly (as in job done badly) stained redwood in the conservatory.

Reply to
pete

Oil based paint (matt or gloss) never fails for me. It should be something that has zero affinity for water, which rules out spirit based coatings, like shellac and, obviously, pva.

Reply to
stuart noble

Any oil based paint, either undercoat, eggshell or gloss, of any colour will stop water stains. Wait for it to dry then paint over with normal emulsion.

Reply to
Phil L

The trick to stain blocking is to alternate paint solvent types. So a layer of oil based then a layer of water based etc. A layer of oil based household undercoat will block most stains with emulsion each side of it - but not all. If blocking doesnt succeed at first, try more alternating layers or try something with another type of solvent base. The main downsides of using oil undercoat is the long dry time. Also sometimes you'll need more emulsion coats to get a decent covering, oil paints can be a bit water repellant.

NT

Reply to
NT