Need to stain Creative Playthings playset outside....

We have a large Creative Playthings playset in the yard for the kids. It was put in last year. Looks like it was stained with something ochre-red semi-opaque.

The wood is starting to crack in places. They claim it is redwood/cedar. Or perhaps "redwood cedar", I couldn't get a straight answer. I think the salesman didn't know for sure, but he was like some of it is redwood, some of it cedar. Whatever. (oye).

Is there a good outdoor stain that would minimize cracking that you believe would be fine for children to play on? I don't want a full opaque, because I really like seeing the wood grain.

TIA!

Reply to
Thomas G. Marshall

I just recently stained my Creative Playthings playground with a Cabots transparent stain. The old "red" stain was wearing off, so I painted mine to match the color of my deck, "Cordovan Brown". It came out great. Its a lot darker, but that was I wanted in order to match the deck.

Reply to
Mikepier

...[rip]...

Reply to
Thomas G. Marshall

...[rip]...

(ignore prior.....accident)

3 Questions, if you don't mind:
  1. Would you suggest a brush or a sprayer? I could see a case for either one.
  2. Did you disconnect everything from the playset first?
  3. Did you remove those plastic hole covers before staining?

THANKS!!!

Reply to
Thomas G. Marshall

I used a brush, along with some help from my 7 year old. It took 3 days, a couple of hours each day.

I just took off the swings, I left the slide on and covered it

I did not remove all of them. There's no harm if you paint over them.

Reply to
Mikepier