best wood suited for playset

Which available woods would best be suited for a small children playset?

I inherited a ACQ treated wood playset. I've pulled off most of the boards leaving a skeleton. I was not comfortable using ACQ. My preference would be natural cedar or redwood, but locally I cannot get redwood w/o special order and cedar is limited, and for example the cost of a 2x4x8 S4S is $8.

Is the micronized copper any safer than ACQ? What about the composite decking materials? For composite, cost is an issue with new materials, but I could wait it out and find small lots and/or watch craigslist.

Thoughts?

Reply to
kansascats

You could just use standard construction lumber and keep it painted or use any good penetrating oil stain like Penofin or whatever you can find local. Maybe dip the parts that contact the ground in Thompsons water sealer or some other preservitive and then cover well with paint.

Just a possible plan B. This will outlast at least on generation of children.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

..might become plan A except I really don't like the painting/staining maintenance.. though stain is easier than paint I guess. All the ground contact parts are already ACQ lumber -- the 4x4s, 2x6's at the base, and 2x6's for the floor support. I suppose I could easy enough finish out the floor and deck walls (4' x 4') with standard construction lumber and paint/stain as you suggested.

Definitely worth the thought -- probably looking at a 10-12 year lifespan.

Reply to
kansascats

It would be more expensive, but you could go with cypress. No finish needed. And it has less possible irritants than cedar or redwood.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard