How waterproof is "waterproof" tile adhesive?

I was researching making the same type of concrete for a similar project- an outside stove for cooking BBQs etc- and found examples of people using it for all kinds of things where it would certainly get wet outside and, presumably, freeze. Some were in places with more extreme winters than we normally see.

None mentioned problems/concerns over frost type damage.

The inside of pizza ovens are generally coated with fire clay after being formed- typically using a beach ball as a former.

You could always paint the outside render with one of the smooth sealing paint type finishes.

As for tile adhesive, I think it is resistant rather than water proof. If you really soak it for a long time it will soften. In showers etc, the tiles protect the adhesive add the exposed grout has a limited area.

The stuff used in swimming pools is another matter. There the grout / adhesive is always exposed and is specifically water proof.

Reply to
Radio Man

Cement type should be as waterproof as any other mortar.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

That would apply to ready mixed adhesive that comes in a bucket - like some emulsion paint.

The cement based stuff comes in a packet and you mix it with water - just like other mortar.

I've got some tiles outdoors fixed with that which have been just fine. Think tiles on a garden path.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

I'm thinking of building a pizza oven from vermiculite & cement.

It will live outdoors.

If it get wet & freezes I reckon it will crack & fail.

I'll need to "render" it to keep rain off somehow.

Is waterproof tile adhesive really waterproof ?

Any other suggestions besides a tarp?

TIA

Reply to
Jimk

NB I mean the powder cementitious tile adhesives, not the ready mix "gloop in a bucket" variety...

Reply to
Jimk

Indeed. They generally don't reveal what they do to protect them when not in use.

Vermiculite absorbs water

Small pizzas? :-)

The ones I've seen don't line it with anything more than the vermiculite concrete mix.

Hmmm

& Expensive!
Reply to
Jimk

So not really then.

Reply to
Jimk

All your various walls have cracked and fallen apart then? No surprise there.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

I'd suggest you read my comments in it. From one who knows, rather than speculates.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Perhaps you'd keep that in mind when posting your more usual OT crap, then?

Read my lips. A decent mortar is waterproof. One which wasn't would be of very limited use.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Big surprise Duhve ! Read the thread... FFS

Reply to
Jimk

Words fail me on this occasion...

You have waterproof clothing that doesn't get wet when it rains?

Is it alcohol abuse that has addled your brain?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Not worth the few electrons required as usual Duhve.

Reply to
Jimk

I don't post OT you dopey git....

So when it rains the mortar in your walls doesn't get wet?

You are even thicker than I thought... :-D

Reply to
Jimk

Pray tell what is either side of that DPC. If you can put down your buckie long enough to use the few brain cells you have left, that is.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Cite Duhve ?

Do your bricks magically stay dry too? How's that work then Duhve?

No addling here , just knowledge, "bus lane boy"....

Why do older houses have cellars? Why use a dpc or DPM?

You've dug yourself another right hole haven't you dopey Duhve? :-D:-D

Reply to
Jimk

If mortar was waterproof like you insist you wouldn't need the DPC would you? you bloody retard! :-D:-D

Reply to
Jimk

"*I went to school to become a wit, only got halfway through.

   Dave Plowman"

Never a truer word?

Reply to
Jimk