Solar ?

Been bright sunshine and hitting 27C here (Midlands) today.

Solar providing c. 13% as much as nuclear ?

Well, well, well.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

According to Gridwatch ATM, Nuclear 4.68GW, Solar 3.92GW. Where's your

13% come from?

Try again after dark :-)

Reply to
Chris Hogg

It's dropped to 10% now ...

I was briefly impressed.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

It only needs a bit of cloud, including high-up hazy stuff to have a signifcant effect on solar PV output.

Reply to
Andrew

Ah, I understand you now. Not 13% of nuclear, but 13%, as much as nuclear. We obviously need more nuclear...

Reply to
Chris Hogg

And that's with only 8 out of the 16 nuclear sets actually online.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I see that Wylfa is looking increasingly unlikely

Chris Hogg

It's summer. About half the nukes shutdown for inspection, refuelling or at the request of the grid

Andy Burns

Gridwatch suggests that the solar report on their web page may be an overestimate. Hover your mouse over the meter and an information pop-up will appear.

Reply to
alan_m

well that's the BBC innit?

Anti-science. wokist, marxist propaganda

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Actually as one person informed me it is probably a slight

*underestimate*. I never fixed that mouseover...

Whatever, solar never producues much in the way of power on average and never when you need it

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Whatever the percentage it's still pointless. Max load capacity is required of the grid, so even 100% of solar output would not reduce the need for more conventional sources of power. But it does up the price, since you now have 2 generating systems rather than 1.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

And so unlike Capitalism where factory and other business owners have absolutely no interest in exerting power over their employees but much prefer for them to decide their own working hours, wages or salaries, and conditions of employment.

Poor old Roger Scruton was himself the victim of a Marxist conspiracy of course. Which is why he was never able to secure a teaching post, let alone a fellowship at any of the major universities such as Oxford, or Cambridge but spent his entire career teaching evening classes at Birkbeck

So yet another poor victim of another Marxist conspiracy by the looks of things. In his case Sir Clive Sinclair, his ex wife and Waitrose

michael adams

michael adams

Seems to be a bad case of shooting the messenger. Or shouldn't they have mentioned Hitachi backing out - it sounds like actual news to me?

Reply to
Roger Hayter

...or for you to live in Scotland.

Reply to
soup

wylfa is on then off then on then off at every change in the government breeze. It makes perfects sense if only the government will guarantee not to change the rules AGAIN. They wont.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Agreed, it is all a bit of a game. FWIW same story is in Telegraph so a bit unfair to bash BBC and Guardian.

Reply to
newshound

I don't have a problem with the Guardian. They are free to print what they like, and people are free to pay or not for it.

I have a *massive* problem with the BBC, which I do pay for. For now.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Sounds like we need to get those Nukes sorted. It still represents the least polluting way at night with no wind. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Couldn't agree more.

Reply to