Subject Author Posted Replies

aggregate names/spec
It seems that MOT type 1 is now known as SHW clause 803 Similarly MOT type 3 is SHW clause 805 But I have a requirement for SHW clause 513 I can't find anyone selling an aggregate described as Cl 513,...
1
1

Fluorescent tubes fail to strike or take many attempts before striking (and then remain on perfectly)
If a fluorescent tube (about 5-6 feet long, one of a pair in a fitting) fails to strike or takes many attempts before striking (and then remains on perfectly), is that likely to be a failed tube or a...
10
10

OT(ish) Eco fluff from Guardian about wood burning stoves
<>No hard facts, and only a passing mention that hints that the worst polluters are open fires. Nothing about solid fuel central heating which generally uses anthracite beans. Nothing about (for...
16
16

Condensation solution required in loft
Hi all and Happy New Year, I'm trying to find the best solution to a condensation problem in a loft in a 1980's new built block of flats (top floor flat with loft access). The condensation forms on...
9
9

Smart meter reading
We have had Smart meters since last year so much to my surprise someone came to read my meter. The odd thing was that he only read the electric meter. This is the first meter reading we have had in...
10
10

Fireworks at new year
Quite why some people think it such a good idea to mount five mortars in their garden and fire pro display stuff skywards for nearly half an hour last night eludes me. The houses shook and as far as I...
16
16

OT Drone displays
How do they do that?
20
20

DIY oxygen treatment? Just in case the NHS runs out.....
In these harsh Covid times there are reports of no spare beds, and hospitals running out of oxygen. It is a reasonable assumption that one could catch Covid, need oxygen, and find that there are no...
62
62

More than impressive!
There's impressive, and then there's Alice Goodridge in a class of her own. :) need to scroll down a bit.) As 2020 draws to a close temperatures in the UK drop and parts of the country are bathed in...
12
12

Relay advice please
I'm looking for a solid state relay that has an input of 240V a/c and that can switch DC on the output side ie switch 12v DC to ground. I have been using the old style relays (Omron MY2NJ) in the past...
50
50

Blown fuse - and plug
Not known this before. Friend's cassette deck is chewing tapes, so I said I'd take a look. Plugged it in and flash/bang from the plug, blew the 13A fuse in the extension, and tripped the socket...
22
22

Insulation under cold tank
What does the team reckon about this: know the conventional wisdom is to leave a patch of ceiling uninsulated under your cold water tank, but the tank is 3 foot in the air! There's completely free...
11
11

Win10 Laptop m/board swap
Last time I opened it up, to replace a noisy fan, I managed to wreck the ribbon connector for the card reader + one USB slot - all were just push connectors, apart from this which had a flip up type...
6
6

Charging mobile phone battery without phone
Hi All, My wife's old Samsung Galaxy S5 died - it refuses to charge. I tried a whole heap of button pressing etc to reset/ get it going and nothing worked so concluded the charging circuit is fried. I...
24
24

What is this tool
were fitting out new offices and I came across this tool left behind by someone. I asked the phone installer if it was his but he said no. Perhaps its to do with a network installation?
22
22