OT(ish) Eco fluff from Guardian about wood burning stoves

No hard facts, and only a passing mention that hints that the worst polluters are open fires.

Nothing about solid fuel central heating which generally uses anthracite beans.

Nothing about (for example) garden bonfires.

Previous articles have let slip that the issues are often about running wood burners with the fire doors open, and that they are not such a problem with the doors closed.

Our wood burner is for pleasure and also as a backup heat source. Cooking at a pinch.

The electricity here is pretty reliable, but I still recall a couple of houses back when we were the only house able to cook because of our solid fuel Rayburn when the power went out for an extended period. So having an alternative is reassuring.

Anyway, Happy New Year.

Dave R

Reply to
David

Not seen the article, suspect its only been published to fill space as there seems to be no news except covid and we are all pig sick of that. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Its the guardian. You can safely ignore it completely.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I wonder what the relative statistics are for charcoal BBQs in the summer?

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

it wont be long before peoples sweat is classed as a pollutant

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Why would anyone run a woodburner with the door open?

Reply to
Tim Streater

Tim Streater snipped-for-privacy@greenbee.net posted

It makes it blaze up and deliver a lot of heat quickly.

Reply to
Algernon Goss-Custard

we have a wood burner. One thing that puzzles me is that as soon as I open the door to refuel, I can actually feel a blast of "heat" coming into the room.

I have wondered whether the room would actually heat up more with the door open. Clearly with the door shut that heat energy is going somewhere else, but to where?

Reply to
No Name

To poke it or put new logs in.

(The article was saying that every time you open the door a gust of particulates comes into the room)

Theo

Reply to
Theo

more instant heat

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That why you only open it slowly. Strangely enough your NOSE can tell if any gases have escaped, and if they haven't neither have the particles

Its just more command and control ecobollocks

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Thass prolly because you are stood next to it. With ours, the heat tends to decrease rapidly with the door open, because the carefully designed airflow is interrupted. And you get smoke/CO into the room.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I dint say "why does anyone open the door?", I said "why would anyone *run* it that way?"

Reply to
Tim Streater

Not if it's like most/many. Opening the doors *stops* the draught being drawn through the burning wood. If you shut the doors and open the dampers (which are *below* the grate) then you get a good draught right through the burning wood.

Reply to
Chris Green

There shouldn't be "a gust of particulates" if the stove is drawing properly, air should be sucked *into* it.

Reply to
Chris Green

But it is still drawn onto the *top* of the fire, which is all that is necessary for a wood fire. [It's different if you're burning coal.],

And, with the door open, the heat of combustion is radiated directly into the room.

Yes, that works well too in terms of promoting combustion. But it doesn't deliver the heat into the room as quickly.

Reply to
Algernon Goss-Custard

Mine burns faster with the doors open and looks pretty But what you really want is a slower burn, so closing it up and just using in my case the top slots above the burn level work well

Where the air vents are makes little difference. air is drawn to the fire base because convection off the top sees to that.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher