What is this tool

We were fitting out new offices and I came across this tool left behind by someone. I asked the phone installer if it was his but he said no. Perhaps its to do with a network installation?

Reply to
fred

Looks like it is for RJ45 IDC network plugs. Doesn't look like a high quality tool, they may be glad to have lost it!

Reply to
Roger Hayter

That was my guess. Thanks or your input.

Reply to
fred

I've got one identical (except cleaner), it's an "HT-210N" "8 contact (RJ-45) modular telephone plug crimping tool". It "cuts, crimps and snips".

It's for putting the plug ends on CAT5 ethernet cable.

Just googling for the model number gets plenty of hits.

Reply to
Alan J. Wylie

It's one of these

Chris Hogg

+1

Agreed not the highest of quality but if it does the job and was "free"...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I thought telephones used RG11 plugs.

Reply to
ARW

(RJ11) They do, I was just quoting what's on the carboard instructions.

Amazon and eBay advertise them with that description too. It must be have been lost in translation by the Taiwanese.

Reply to
Alan J. Wylie

My tool does both:-)

Reply to
ARW

Don't the Yanks (and probably others) use RJ45 plugs for their phones?

Reply to
Max Demian

No they use the similar design but 6 way plug/socket.

I think the RJ11 is the one normally used for phones and is 6p4c (6 way but only the centre 4 ways have electrical connection) the line being connected to the centre two connections. RJ12 is 6p6c.

The smaller number way plugs fit and latch into the same or higher numbered way sockets.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

It is called a crimping tool, because it looks like a crimping tool, but in fact don't the relevant plugs use insulation displacement contacts, with nothing there to crimp? Though everyone seems to call it crimping so maybe I am being pedantic.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

The electrical is IDC in two forms, one straight pierciong of the insulation by a couple of pointy bits for stranded (patch) cable. Or three prongs offset from the centre line, the end ones to one side, the centre the other to pinch around solid cored (instalation) cable.

The cable clamp is a latch rather than crimp, ie the pressure on the cable comes from the design of the latch rather than having to apply the correct pressure from the tool.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

There has to be some sort of crimp to keep it on the end of the cable.

Because that?s what it is.

Nope, just mistaken.

Reply to
Fred

They do but an RJ11 will fit the centre of an RJ45 socket

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

RJ11 is 6P2C - though most "RJ11" leads you can buy are actually 6P4C. Some have only two wires and two unconnected contacts, some have four (which is actually RJ14 wiring).

Ethernet (8P8C) connectors aren't actually RJ45, though everyone calls them that - the real RJ45 uses a keyed connector that won't fit into a normal 8P8C connector.

They do - but it can damage the socket. If you put a 6P2C plug in an 8P8C socket it will bend the outer pins, and they might not make good contact with an 8P8C plug later.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Humphrey

So what is the plug that connects a BB router to the microfilter?

Reply to
Max Demian

The plug is usually an RJ11 (6 pin) but the socket (if it's a genuine openreach one) is actually an "RJ45" (8 pin) at the microfilter end.

Reply to
Andy Burns

RJ11 IIRC

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I instantly disbelieved that until I looked at the faceplate openreach installed here.

Golly. It is RJ45!

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher