What's this tool called?

Hi all,

Can anyone tell me what this tool is called from this description I'm givin g here:

It's kind of like a heavy duty heel bar; a long, hard steel lever for prizi ng up very heavy items, but where the heel would be on lighter duty example s, on these HD ones there are a pair of skate wheels. Aparantley they're go od for raising up to 1.5 tonnes by a few inches single handedly. Bonus points will be awarded to anyone who can tell me where I can buy one, too.

cheers.

Reply to
orion.osiris

Lever dolly?

Darren

Reply to
D.M.Chapman

Ah, that hit a lot more sites than my suggestion. I always knew of it called a level dolly but that would appear to be american?

Odd. Still, I think you win :-)

Darren

Reply to
D.M.Chapman

Roller Crowbar.

Used for shifting heavy machinery - slip the toe under, lever up, slip a roller under or some cribbing timber and off you go.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

THanks, guys. THe picuture Andrew pointed to is definitely what I was think ing of, but there is still some ambiguity over the name. HSS Hire calls it something else entirely; I could find it the other day in their print catal ogue, but their online version is a nightmare to navigate around so I've be en unable to find it again. BTW, this is to lower this 3 phase 3/4 ton lathe to the ground. I was able to get it off it's double layer palette with an engine crane and a trolly j ack (with great difficulty) but it's still supported on wooden sleepers bec ause both the jack and the crane foul the underside of the lathe before it can reach the deck. Hence the need for this tool.

Reply to
orion.osiris

Lidl had one in a moving set a few weeks ago, along with some rollers. I don't recall its load capability but it was probably only a couple of hundred kg.

You can probably make do with a big pry bar and some scaffold tube.

Reply to
dennis

Hi all,

Can anyone tell me what this tool is called from this description I'm giving here:

It's kind of like a heavy duty heel bar; a long, hard steel lever for prizing up very heavy items, but where the heel would be on lighter duty examples, on these HD ones there are a pair of skate wheels. Aparantley they're good for raising up to 1.5 tonnes by a few inches single handedly. Bonus points will be awarded to anyone who can tell me where I can buy one, too.

I want the bonus points too eBay 251310226731

Reply to
Nthkentman

China?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Fred Dibnah would just set fire to the sleepers. ;)

Reply to
GB

hinking of, but there is still some ambiguity over the name. HSS Hire calls it something else entirely; I could find it the other day in their print c atalogue, but their online version is a nightmare to navigate around so I'v e been unable to find it again.

ble to get it off it's double layer palette with an engine crane and a trol ly jack (with great difficulty) but it's still supported on wooden sleepers because both the jack and the crane foul the underside of the lathe before it can reach the deck. Hence the need for this tool.

That did actually occur to me when the thing was still stacked on pallets. Seriously.

Reply to
orion.osiris

Pinch Bar! That's the other name for it. Well done! I'm awarding you double bonus points for this sterling effort.

Reply to
orion.osiris

Could you transfer it onto some ice?

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

How are you going to set fire to that? ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

You are right, that's a problem. But use frozen petrol, and it's probably a doddle.

Reply to
GB

On 27/07/2013 21:41, snipped-for-privacy@virgin.net wrote: ...

You need a few big blokes; the favourite tool of the machinery removal company I used to use for something as light as that.

If you can't manage them, have you thought of hiring toe jacks? I rather doubt the roller crowbar would be much use for getting the lathe off a sleeper - they have a fairly limited lift height.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Years ago, on Blue Peter, they had a bit on putting the Guy the Gorilla Statue in place.

There they placed the statue Bags of Sugar, when it was in the correct position, they pulled the straps out, and split the bags and washed the sugar away with water.

Baz

Reply to
Baz

I was wondering about that as well. Guess you might be able to have the roller bar on one block, heft up the lath, remove the sleeper, replace with slightly less high block, lower lathe, remove roller bar, replace it's block, lift, rinse and repeat...

Now there is an idea sugar an water would be messy but you could use sand in bags. Roller bar to get the bags under with enough extra height to get the sleepers out. The *carefully* make hole in sand bag and use a tool (not your hand) to slowly and evenly remove sand from the bags.

ISTR some telly programme about them erecting huge stone monoliths by having the end supported over a timber box filled with dry sand. There was a plug at the bottom to allow the sand out ina controlled manner.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Hard work when compared to using toe jacks. The roller crowbar I have can lift about 7cm with the handle flat on the floor.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Presumably the outriggers with castors are under the load and the lathe is not as deep as it is long.

If so can't you turn the engine crane through 90 degrees, the legs being at the front and rear of the bed and then just lift one end, place on multiple layers of blocks Move to other end, turn crane through 180 degrees and lift the other end and place again on multiple layers of blocks. Then lift each end in turn, removing a layer of blocks at a time.

Even if you can't do it fully in situ you could do it elsewhere and make a final drop onto a round bar roller of say an inch diameter, then a simple crowbar can be used to remove the rollers.

Reply to
The Other Mike

inking of, but there is still some ambiguity over the name. HSS Hire calls it something else entirely; I could find it the other day in their print ca talogue, but their online version is a nightmare to navigate around so I've been unable to find it again.

le to get it off it's double layer palette with an engine crane and a troll y jack (with great difficulty) but it's still supported on wooden sleepers because both the jack and the crane foul the underside of the lathe before it can reach the deck. Hence the need for this tool.

Some ingenious and imaginative ideas here for which many thanks, guys. I did try turning the crane through 90 degrees and attacking it from that a ngle, but the spread between the outriggers was insufficient to get in clos e enough, given that at 3/4 of a ton to lift, the jib has to be set to almo st its shortest reach (its *maximum* capacity is 1 ton)

I like the idea of the toe jacks, though. I've never seen or heard of them before, but I can guess, I reckon, the idea behind such a device and if it' s what I think it is then it'd be ideal. I'll get on to my local hire compa nies and ask if they keep such things.

Reply to
orion.osiris