What's this tool called?

m before, but I can guess, I reckon, the idea behind such a device and if i t's what I think it is then it'd be ideal. I'll get on to my local hire com panies and ask if they keep such things.

Seems they do; take a load down to 3/4" above deck, so I'm told. I guess th at's as good as it gets. There's also something called a 'farm jack' which is a similar sort of thing, but provides much higher working heights like u p to 48".

Reply to
orion.osiris

thinking of, but there is still some ambiguity over the name. HSS Hire call s it something else entirely; I could find it the other day in their print catalogue, but their online version is a nightmare to navigate around so I' ve been unable to find it again.

able to get it off it's double layer palette with an engine crane and a tro lly jack (with great difficulty) but it's still supported on wooden sleeper s because both the jack and the crane foul the underside of the lathe befor e it can reach the deck. Hence the need for this tool.

angle, but the spread between the outriggers was insufficient to get in cl ose enough, given that at 3/4 of a ton to lift, the jib has to be set to al most its shortest reach (its *maximum* capacity is 1 ton)

m before, but I can guess, I reckon, the idea behind such a device and if i t's what I think it is then it'd be ideal. I'll get on to my local hire com panies and ask if they keep such things.

Here's a high lift jack for about 7 tons:

and a smaller one also 7 tons that needs to be put together!

and in use:

Matty F

te:

s thinking of, but there is still some ambiguity over the name. HSS Hire ca lls it something else entirely; I could find it the other day in their prin t catalogue, but their online version is a nightmare to navigate around so I've been unable to find it again.

s able to get it off it's double layer palette with an engine crane and a t rolly jack (with great difficulty) but it's still supported on wooden sleep ers because both the jack and the crane foul the underside of the lathe bef ore it can reach the deck. Hence the need for this tool.

at angle, but the spread between the outriggers was insufficient to get in close enough, given that at 3/4 of a ton to lift, the jib has to be set to almost its shortest reach (its *maximum* capacity is 1 ton)

hem before, but I can guess, I reckon, the idea behind such a device and if it's what I think it is then it'd be ideal. I'll get on to my local hire c ompanies and ask if they keep such things.

Wow!

Actually I got the lathe down another 4" today (from 8" with now just 4" re maining) and without having to buy or hire anything. Suddenly occurred to m e the jack in my Landrover would be ideal for the job. It's not a common de sign and hard to describe, but it did prove very handy indeed in this appli cation; almost made for it, you could say. So the machine is low enough now not to worry about taking all the way down. If I can get it level as it is that will do fine. :)

Reply to
orion.osiris