What is this tool called?

Hard to explain. Looks like a screwdriver, but instead of a flat end to the blade, there are two protruding parts, one at either side - or a screwdriver blade with a notch in the middle. Used with special nuts that have two holes, to accommodate the protrusions on the tool.

Sideways on, it would look like this (but smaller!)

------------- | -- | | -- |

-------------

Reply to
Graeme

Perhaps a driver for security screws.

Reply to
Nick

I cant really help as I would just call it a screwdriver, reason being I had a screw a few years back and I had to take an old screwdriver and file the center out similar to what you have described to get it to fit. No doubt there is a proper name and I await someone enlightening us.

Reply to
SS

I've got a number of similar bits in a set sold for removing "security" screws on small electronic gear. It also has hollow torx and hex bits in for the type that have a pin in the centre of the hole to prevent unauthorised access.

Reply to
John Williamson

Dunno, but I made one many moons ago by filing a notch out if a normal screwdriver. It was to tighten up the lockrings on chassis-mount 3.5mm jack sockets.

Reply to
Ron Lowe

Spanner security screws.

Google for images and see.

Reply to
Skipweasel

NT

Reply to
Tabby

Just one type of security bit? Although perhaps been around more than most.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Nick ( snipped-for-privacy@boom.co.uk) wibbled on Tuesday 08 March 2011 21:30:

There is certainly a security bit that matches that profile. But I know of the nuts the OP is talking about - but I do not remember the name.

To the OP - yes,

left. Can be bought easily as single bits.

I usually make them as needed by dremelling a slot in a cheap old screwdriver. If no dremel, soften the tip with a blowtorch, file, then reharden (to blue stage IIRC, but it's unlikely to be critical here).

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim Watts

Hard to explain. Looks like a screwdriver, but instead of a flat end to the blade, there are two protruding parts, one at either side - or a screwdriver blade with a notch in the middle. Used with special nuts that have two holes, to accommodate the protrusions on the tool.

Sideways on, it would look like this (but smaller!)

------------- | -- | | -- |

-------------

Reply to
John Miller

In message , Tim Watts writes

Brilliant. Thank you, Tim. I cannot tell you how long I spent browsing the tools section of eBay, and using Google, but with the wrong search terms :-(

Reply to
Graeme

Yes, that would be a perfect example of the tool's use. Thanks.

Reply to
Graeme

Toolstation do a complete set inc one like that

The Medway Handyman

Reply to
Frank Erskine

In message , Tabby writes

Reply to
Graeme

Graeme ( snipped-for-privacy@nospam.demon.co.uk) wibbled on Wednesday 09 March 2011 07:39:

You'll almost certainly find single bits on ebay and in one of Farnell, RS or Rapid or CPC.

Reply to
Tim Watts

As an apprentice electrician almost 40 years ago, we called these Russell Hobbs screwdrivers because Russell Hobbs kettles had the element secured by screws that needed these drivers. Never came across them in anything else but they now seem to be part of modern "security" screw/driver sets.

Reply to
Manticore

Some4 security when you can buy screwdrivers and bits on the open market... !! I made my own spanner driver.... Jim

Reply to
the_constructor

Model Railways again? I'm guessing you want a Romford screwdriver to remove the axlenuts.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Is this related to the lubricating model railway locos thread? Removing axle nuts? Sounds like you want a Romford screwdriver

item ROW083.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q