Need a notched screwdriver

Could someone please tell me where I might get a notched screwdriver?

A kitchen appliance (juicer) has stopped working and I want to take a look inside.

The screws are slotted but the middle of the slot is filled in, meaning that the slot is in two parts, requiring a screwdriver with a notch in it.

I asked in B&Q but they don't do them.

The screw heads are at the bottom of pits in the casing, or whatever the word is, so I can't use a saw to make a single slot.

Cheers,

Chris

Reply to
Chris Nellist

Screwfix sell a set of security drivers ...

Reply to
Huge

Its a security screw designed to stop you repairing your own stuff. You can get sets of security bits quite cheaply. I had similar problem with hair dryer and took it into local domestic elec repair place and they loosened the screw for me. However, the switch had gone and the manufacturer didn't supply spares..

Reply to
BillV

"Chris Nellist" wrote in message news:Xns95467CFF046D2pnellist@195.92.193.157...

car shops and screwfix sell sets of anti-tamper bits. unfortunately in your case you probably need a long bit to reach the bottom of the hole. quickest cheapest option for you will be to take a suitable sized cheap screwdriver and grind a notch out of the middle. I have made several of these over the years (different sizes)

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

In the DIY sheds there are lots of screwdriver kits with various driver bits. Some are extensive. It is a matter of looking inside the cases they come in. Also some drill/bit kits have a section of driver heads in them.

Reply to
IMM

They are called security screws.

No surprise there then !...

Can you not adapt a normal screwdriver ?

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

You could buy a screwdriver the right size and file a notch in it, or you could buy a security bit set from CPC. I think the bits you are looking for are called "spanner" bits and part no TL01635 is £1.18 + VAT

Smudger

Maplin (and many others, probably Screwfix too) sell sets of security bits as 1/4" hex bits. Look for a rubbery "block of soap" case, in lurid green.

Alternatively Dremel a slot in an existing screwdriver.

If it's a round nut over a bolt (not uncommon on electricals) then you'll need a very long slot in your screwdriver blade. It's easiest to make one from steel tube instead, by filing away two sides to make a pair of pegs.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Andy Dingley wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Perhaps I'm a bit oldfashioned, but I found a rattail file or the edge of a halfround, would do the trick; perhaps it's the skinflint tendency.

Had to do lots to assemble and disembrangle Varicons in the old days....

mike

Reply to
mike ring

Haven't you got a file???

J.B.

Reply to
Jerry Built

In message , Chris Nellist writes

Get a security bit set from Maplins, CPC or some other outlet (assuming you can get the screwdriver in the slot)

Otherwise, why not just cut a slot in an old screwdriver yourself? Simple and straightforward

Reply to
raden