Subject Author Posted Replies

Battery-powered gas central heating.
I'm alarmed by the recent reports about electrical shortages. Is it possible to power my gas CH boiler (not a combi) by a 12V 100Ah leisure battery via an inverter? My understanding is that the...
13
13

adding lip to tarmac
we have a gutter that a down spout discharges into It. Unfortunately it is slightly lower than the surrounding drive so lots of crud and leaves get washed into it. I've tried using a gutter shield...
13
13

Converting ladders to step ladder
Hi all, I need to trim some high bushes and my bandstand / youngmans platform combo are not high enough. The other day I saw some gardeners using what looked like a standard double ladder with a...
16
16

what three words
As on topic as much else in here:-) Anyone care to recommend a download of a map based version for a desk top PC W7? I don't currently use a smart phone and would like to identify a few locations...
66
66

Clive Sinclair died
did get a QL, something I was tempted by at the time. Andrew Creator of the landmark ZX Spectrum and the less commercially successful C5 died after a long illness
65
65

Switch locater light
About 50 years ago electroluminescent plates were introduced. These sat behind a regular wall switch plate. Sometimes longer scews were needed to pass through both plates and into the plaster-depth...
7
7

OT Nuclear U-Boats; how do they condense the steam?
After following the Vigil TV series (with all its reported errors) and also the prog on HMS Trenchard, when a Brit U-boat is powered by nuclear fuels, how do they condense the steam? With sea water?...
64
64

Mains Conditioning
I have successfully run network signals round my house with a home plug setup for the last 3 or 4 years. Having recently purchased a rechargeable device and carried out lots of trial and error I have...
16
16

How to garages change car brake fluid?
What tools would a garage (main dealer) use to change the brake fluid in a car? Do they have something that attaches to the resevoir and supplies the new fluid at pressure so that the operator can let...
18
18

Uh Oh. first Bilsdale, now Kent Interconnector
Interconnector that largely draws on power from French nuclear stations supplies more energy into the grid than all the UK's windfarms
28
28

Another FreeSat query
If there are Sky broadcasts which are free to air, how do I get my Humax box to tune to them?
11
11

Christmas cards for sale.
Not old stock but new stock now on sale in a shop on a new display stand. A bit early IMHO.
21
21

Air vent.
Do you think this sort of thing: suitable for vents in the gable ends of my new workshop? Two on the outside of each end, about 2300mm off the ground, the rest of the gable end being covered in timber...
8
8

Stan and Ollie erect an aerial, TogetherTv Saturday 09:00 AM
One for William, 9am. Hog Wild (1930). Stars Laurel and Hardy. Stan helps Ollie try to erect a radio aerial on the roof of his house, with predictably hilarious consequences. Andrew
7
7

Coal fired power stations - we love you really
Looks like some of the remaining coal fired power stations are being warmed up to support the grid in response to little wind, high gas prices and a fire shutting down one of the French interconnects....
44
44