Replacing textured glass with film

I have a blown bathroom window sealed unit, so I'm looking to replace it. It has textured glass, and (of course) I can't get the matching texture any more, so I have to replace both panes in the window.

Which led me to wonder whether it would be worth installing plain glass and then fitting textured film on the top, rather than getting new textured glass? That way, next time it's just a case of renewing the film on both pieces rather than the whole sealed unit. It also means the texturing can be updated if somebody doesn't like the pattern.

Or is this a terrible idea? I'm not sure how textured film would stand up in a bathroom, would it fail after a short while? Would it be harder to clean (bathroom mould etc)? Are there any building regs issues where film wouldn't be viewed as a permanent?

Also, any recommendations for suppliers of sealed units? I found a few online firms googling and intend to ask around my local DG suppliers, but hard to judge any of them except on price.

Thanks Theo

Reply to
Theo

IME the film works just fine in a bathroom, and looks pretty good.

Reply to
Clive Arthur

+1

I've had the film on a few windows - bathroom, kitchen, and stairwell - for quite a few years, and it works well. No problems with cleaning, either.

Reply to
S Viemeister

I'd agree to a point - if you can get the edges under some beading, and (obviously) avoid bubbles.

Reply to
RJH

I was thinking of applying it to the sealed unit before installation, which would keep the edges captive (and make it easier to trim). More awkward to change later though.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

IME, it is much easier to get rid of bubbles on the sort of film that you apply to wetted glass as compared to self-adhesive film. The former can be lifted and re-lifted as many times as is needed.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

Maybe you need something just to stop people looking in, like thatstuff they glue to car windows that looks like a mirror. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Brian Gaff snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote

That doesn't work at night when you have the light on in the bathroom.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Definitely! I learned that the hard way.

Reply to
S Viemeister

Unfortunately, at night when you have the lights on, in the bathroom, all you can see is a mirror (looking out) while folks outside can see everything. :-)

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

I have only two windows which are overlooked, and I don't like the faff of drawing curtains, so six years ago I decided to buy and fit a textured film. It was easy to fit, and has been fine ever since, bought from Ebay.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

Wilko have/had some interesting designs, and it seems good quality. And get your bag of screws etc. while you're there :-)

Reply to
RJH