Subject Author Posted Replies

Nifty DIY tool / gadget gift ideas
We seem to have reached that time of year. Any suggestions for good DIY themed gifts?
18
18

Getting mould to grow on interior wall
Looking to get a low valuation on a property I own which I want to gift to a family member. One suggestion given was to artificially generate black mould on a ceiling and wall which could suggest that...
15
15

Xmas fairy lights
Sometime in the past couple of years (Sorry, don't remember, all posts deleted after being read) I got help in this NG and learnt about the way that bulbs fail becoming a short circuit and so keep the...
14
14

Twin flourescents.
I have a pair of twin fluorescent fittings lighting the L shaped workbench. A 6ft and 5 ft. Came from TLC maybe 30 odd years ago. Each one has a mixture of T8 and T12 tubes. The modern T8 take a while...
50
50

OT: Today's Freecycle
"Dell Dimension 3100 74.5gb Desktop. FDD does not open. 19" Dell screen not working. IBM Think Pad laptop. Wireless connection and battery connection do not work. Unprogrammed." Well, at least they're...
2
2

Carpentry software
Someone in another newsgroup mentioned the software Home Designer Architectural. One of the nice features about this is it'll plan roof structures and generate cut lists of timber for you. I was...
3
3

TOT carbon footprint
A courier suggests "Help to reduce the carbon footprint of your parcel by up to 90%* By diverting your parcel to a ParcelShop or locker" Isn't this somewhat negated by the customer having to travel to...
68
68

It alwaysd happens on a weekend
My wife dropped her car key in the boot of her 2006 VW Polo before slamming the lid closed. We moved not long ago and cannot locate her spare key, nor mine for that matter. Anyone know if you can get...
24
24

LED cabinet lights, can't make them work with timeswitch
I've got a set of three LED light panels designed to go under cabinets etc from Costco three panels are connected together by wires and the first panel (that's connected to the mains adaptor) has on...
9
9

Excel Experts
Trying to create a simple table using Excel [1] where the first line of data is Row 1 but, with column headings, the data always starts in Row 2. I can 'freeze' the heading row so that it remains...
14
14

Reading Lights
Does anyone have any opinion on 'reading lights' - like this: there something special about the bulb or lens, or are they just overpriced fashion items? I actually wouldn't mind a decent light for...
31
31

OT: help needing in getting help to cope with a mentally ill person
I thought this would be a good place to ask because there's a wide range of expertise here. It's also urgent. I have a friend who is in severe difficulty. She has coped reasonably well with her...
103
103

TOT - bags for life or "bags for life"?
The alleged deal was that if you bought the expensive and strong bag, then the store would replace it when it wore out and recycle the old one. Forever. Bag for life. Recently stores stopped providing...
21
21

That black plastic buffer material on the side of boats?
I have water leaking in under my garage door. I want to put a rectangular section strip of plastic buffer material on the floor across the whole opening. Stuff like that suggested in the subject line...
35
35

OT: PAYG SIM cards
My main SIM (I have a dual-SIM phone) is on a contract and uses the Vodafone network; I want to get a second (back-up) PAYG SIM for emergency use on those occasions when I'm out of Vodafone coverage....
24
24