Subject Author Posted Replies

Inspection/Testing Documentation
Hi all I am putting together a dossier for my kitchen re-wire in an attempt to fool (I mean convince) the BC inspector that I have got all angles covered on my kitchen rewire. So far this contains:...
9 years ago 3

PDP/11 chassis door swings shut ...
In message , Andy Burns writes In 1970 I remember playing Star-trek using a PDP/9 and TeleType 43 (alias gatling-gun) printer, terrific. I tell a lie, I think it must've been a type 33 - to the one...
9 years ago 28

waste pipe
Hi Is there a simple way of clearing out the sludge in a shallow drop wast pipe from my bath. It is almost horizontal droping about 1 inch over 10 foot I have a drain clearing spring thing but it just...
9 years ago 8

installing gas hob
What needs to be done regards regs to install a gas hob - bottle gas - the bottle will be directly behind the outlet through the wall ( cavity - insulated with kingspan) - what type of pipe? would...
9 years ago 4

Best way to store a falt pack kitchen?
We've just taken delivery of a flat pack kitchen from one of the sheds. It won't be getting fitted until 2 weeks time roughly so is there a preferred way to store it just now to try and prevent any...
9 years ago 5

Any locksmiths about?
A simple problem with a filing cabinet. Wife is a Scout leader and needs to keep confidential information about the children secure. She uses a filing cabinet for this and last week asked me to get a...
9 years ago 23

OT Washing machine warranty
Recently got a new washing machine, an Indesit WIXXE 127, and paperwork with it says "You must register now to activate your FREE 5 year parts warranty." I would imagine that although the parts may be...
9 years ago 12

Washing machine sizes
Is it possible to buy a washing machine that's a little smaller (shorter and narrower) than the usual size? I ask because I have a space that's a very tight fit, and in particular doesn't offer...
9 years ago 19

OT: Cost of underpinning?
We have an old victorian house with a cellar and foundations a whole foot deep - that's 30cm for people who can't do imperial any more. The house is standing up fine despite that, but we are thinking...
9 years ago 12

DRIVES - replacing old flags with gravel
My drive is paved with slabs at the moment, probably around 40 years old. I'd like to replace the drive with a gravel drive since a lot of the flags are broken, etc. Is it just a matter if lifting the...
9 years ago 38

OT: No power in church.
Was walking past a local church last night when I noticed the hall was lit by what looked like candle light. There were a few people hanging about outside smoking (guess it was an AA meeting) and on...
9 years ago 13

Which Patio Slabs
We are in the process of trying to choose patio slabs for a new (quite large) patio area. A light-coloured sandstone is the preference and we like the appearance of the textured slabs. Is it worth...
9 years ago

Cost of building Porch
Passed by this front porch being built nearby and thought i might try to build one myself. Its built on a concrete base that comes to near the level of the front door. speaking to the builder I asked...
9 years ago 13

Laptop seems to be overheating?
I have a pretty old laptop - a Dell Inspiron 1150 (2.4GHz processor/1Gb memory). Problem is that it now seems to be overheating in that it shuts itself down without warning, and its underside...
9 years ago 53

Garage door construction
Hi all I want to change the door on my garage to something that suits my needs better. I use it as a home workshop and the current up and over door is the only method of entry, there are benches down...
9 years ago 3