Subject Author Posted Replies

How high (no, not an oriental joke!) can you lift water?
Theoretical question. My father in law recently read a thriller and part of the plot was some Russian ganster types attempting to refuel a plane by using a surface mounted pump to bring the fuel up...
74
74

OT: Thunderturd
Has the Thunderbird user interface changed recently? i.e. the Reply button? I'm sure I used to click that to reply to posts in newsgroups but now it sends a reply to the email address of the poster...
44
44

washing machine connection
Just found this somewhere: The machine=92s flexible hose is for disposing of waste water. It must disc= harge into a waste pipe or trap above the level of the top of the drum. The= option is to hook...
13
13

Cold mains supply round the house
Any benefit in running a 22mm 'backbone' with 15mm spurs to endpoints? Theoretically this seems to give a higher overall capacity but I don't know if this is necessary for normal use for basins,...
9
9

Advice on use of multimeter
3
3

TRV recommendation
Can someone recommend a type and best place I can get them? I'm not in a hurry, so an online source will be convenient.
11
11

Mobile phones and teachers
One brilliant apprentice gave me this link who filmed it:-) Don't Mess With This Teacher!
8
8

How to break a Henry vacuum cleaner
5
5

UPVC door lock repair
Our front door has been getting harder to unlock recently - I've changed the eurolock barrel and it's made no difference and as far as I can see, the door hasn't dropped enough to be causing the...
11
11

String/fibre filled flexible cable ?
I'm wanting to replace the flex in a V old inertia reel electrical lead. Existing flex is 3 core, 1.5 sq.mm (ish), rubber and is string filled. I presume the string takes some of the strain off the...
7
7

Where to get an electric saw
Hi All, Can anyone suggest where I can get an electric saw similar to this, I've used it a number of times for trimming back some vigourous shrubs and small trees where the hedgetrimmer can't cope but...
14
14

Cheaper to disconnect gas, or a mistake re cost of disconnect?
A relative's house is now entirely E7 storage heaters (static and thermosta= t operated fan storage heater, dimplex VFM32i bought boxed new for =A399), = with 50-80mm internal wall insulation. I have...
11
11

Woodlice
Hi I know this has been proberly asked hundreds of times before, but I appear to be over run with woodlice - mainly dead ones. I know they are harmless and are attracted to and from damp, but for the...
5
5

Toilet Cabin for Builders
Will be having some quotes soon for an extension. I am considering asking the builders to supply their own toilet to avoid having ours messed up. Any thoughts on the likely cost and how a builder may...
36
36

Removing a Karndean tile
Hi I have Karndean tiles in my kitchen - wonderful product, been down years and still looks good. However one tile has been damaged. I have spares and want to replace it. What's the best way of...
1
1