OT: Thunderturd

Has the Thunderbird user interface changed recently? i.e. the Reply button? I'm sure I used to click that to reply to posts in newsgroups but now it sends a reply to the email address of the poster instead. I don't remember having to hit a "Followup" button before?

It is annoying. I keep forgetting this "Followup" button and keep accidentally sending email replies to posters instead of to the newsgroups.

Reply to
David in Normandy

Yes, it has. Annoying, as I've been doing the same thing. It used to be "Reply to Newsgroup" IIRC.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

I've had the same problem

Reply to
David Hill

I think if you use the toolbar in the message pane it *has* changed, I wouldn't know because I use the traditional toolbar below the menu.

They seem to have got rid of the quick way of reverting under the Help menu, you'd have to right click the offending menu bar and use customise, presumably it's the "Smart Reply" button that's causing the confusion?

Reply to
Andy Burns

That works! Thank you! Yes, right click the menu bar then drag the 'Reply' button to the customization window. That only leaves the 'Followup' button which I should get used to now because there is no 'Reply' button to keep accidentally using.

Reply to
David in Normandy

make sure you are not hitting the reply to all button.

Followup is for servers that don't like cross posting

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Just noticed further confusion: The 'Reply' button on the main menu bar replies to the newsgroup but the 'Reply' button on the message pane replies to the email address of the poster. Are Mozilla deliberately trying to cause havoc?

I don't understand your comment about the new 'Followup' - it appears to be the button that needs clicking on the message pane to send replies to newsgroups.

Reply to
David in Normandy

Thanks for this, worked for me too :)

Reply to
gremlin_95

I have the same issue but evidently I'm being thick because I'm not following the above customising thing - can someone explain it for me again please...?!

Thanks David

Reply to
Lobster

If you're using CompactHeader add-on, you'll need to click on the [+] at the top of the message pane, then you can right click the enlarged header and then click customise to drag/drop the icons ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Yes. Annoying "Improvement" that.

The User interface upgraded itself spontaneously about last Friday. Caught me out several times before I used right click "Customise" to re-arrange buttons so that Follow-up is in the right place on Usenet newsgroups and then that Reply-To-All is not the default for email.

Not sure if the latter behaviour wasn't in part due to me meddling with the drag&drop options of the GUI.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Don't bother, just accept that the designers have changed "Reply" to "Followup" and then hit that. Like I just did :-)

Reply to
Clive George

Except that "Reply" on the top menu bar means reply to the newsgroup but "Reply" on the message pane menu means reply by email to the poster. Same word, different place means a different thing.

Anyway, now I've got rid of the message pane "Reply" the problem is gone. Sounds like the "upgrade" has caught a lot of people out.

Reply to
David in Normandy

Gottit... Ta! David

Reply to
Lobster

Yes. I hadn't noticed it because I don't use the mouse when I could use the keyboard. I always reply by hitting ctrl-r, which still works correctly.

Reply to
Danny Colyer

  • 1, so apologies to everyone who has unexpectedly found me in their inbox!
Reply to
newshound

Think I got one off you, but I understood why once I'd done it twice myself!

Reply to
Dave Newt

Dunno about that, should it not have a group reply button?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Something much more serious. My wife had two large address distribution lists, after the latest Thunderbird update she only has one. Luckily I had made a back up of the lists, but she still had to import and bring the missing list up to date

Reply to
Martin

Yes, some moron has been let loose on it. The moron appears to be ignorant of even the most basic HCI advice and has, for some reason, made all the buttons grey. It's a long standing convention that greyed out means "this button is not available for use". Same idiot seems to have been at work on iTunes.

Reply to
Steve Firth