OT: Thunderturd

If you really want coloured icons, install the "No Glass" theme, then right click the toolbar, customise and tick "use coloured icons", they're not much better though ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

And in lots of other places.

Reply to
Huge

Thank you for the tip. However, only after installing "No Glass" (what a strange name!) did I see "Installed under Windows XP this theme changes nothing". I can confirm that it does exactly what it says on the packet! Still - even with XP - I do like Thunderbird (although it's not really my mail/news client).

Reply to
Ian Jackson

Aye. I guess we are now into 2nd generation "interface designers" who need to relearn all the things the 1st generation learnt 20+ years ago.

There is a growing number of sites where even a basic inter page links don't work unless you have javascript enabled. What's that all about?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

There are also sites that don't display anything at all unless JavaScript and/or Flash is enabled! Why the hell do some people design and entire site using Flash?

Reply to
David in Normandy

someone who is using an application generator instead of writing real code.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

vecausethey have bought a very expensive tool to do just that. And Flash is nice. Its is an utterly fixed format and constant across browser platforms. And it does videos.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

And is utterly unviewable on all browsers on slow internet connections. When I find myself reaching one of those sites I close it immediately and go to another site - life is too short to hang around waiting for Flash sites to load. Granted most folks who are lucky enough to have decent internet connections won't have this problem, but there are still lots of people like me who live in rural areas who are stuck with dial-up (or expensive satellite internet).

Reply to
David in Normandy

well, f*ck any customers like that!

I didn't say I liked it, just why they used it!

Yup. But the nerdy little geeks who design this shit don't think about that.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

And they haven't a clue.

And makes the site inaccesable to people with screen readers for example or those that don't/can't have Flash available.

There are two types of Flash site, ones that have Flash only on the home page but no where else, the home page only has links into the rest of the site from the Flash of course. Or sites that are 100% flash but play a 5" animation everytime time you move to another page and you can't navigate away until the animation has finished.

Oh whoppie do. Most video over the 'net is currently only just watchable. OK for a catch up service but not for proper viewing. Does netflix or what ever provide >10Mbps HD streaming of the movies or are they

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Funny you should say that - I've hit reply 4 times in the past few days instead of follow-up. I did download a "new improved" version a few days ago.

Reply to
alan

Didn't we all?

Reply to
David Hill

That's because the menu items change when you right click and customise making the process even more confusing.

Right click on the reply button, select customise, drag the reply button into the customise window (ignore all the new buttons) close the customise window and you will be back where you started minus the reply button.

Reply to
alan

The theme was release to remove the glassy transparency of the title/tool/menu bars that was added a few releases ago, which made it very difficult to see the icons if your background colour was similar to the buttons.

Yes, it was for Windows7 users.

Reply to
Andy Burns

There will be another improved version along soon.

Reply to
Martin

Rate of change will probably slow down now, Mozilla are continuing to build and distribute TB, but not to fund major improvements ... the community can still contribute changes if it wishes to ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Why am I not surprised that you're in favour of Flash, the buggy, broken pile of s**te?

Reply to
Steve Firth

It appears that the community is out of control already.

Reply to
Martin

So it's NBG for my Mac then.

Reply to