OT: My neighbour's been hacked

Got the "play store card scam" mail from my neighbour yesterday.

None of us were taken in of course, because as soon as we got the "I need a favour from you" teaser, we all went around to his flat and knocked on the door to see how he needed help (It's like that here)

So having established that the first mail was a scam (and that the only help that the neighbour needed was sorting out his hacked email) I continued the conversation with the scammer to see where it went.

Of course I'm sending messages to snipped-for-privacy@mail.com and the scammer is replying from snipped-for-privacy@mail.com, so how does that work?

has the scammer simply hacked into the individual's mail by guessing a password and is simply manually creating the outgoing messages and associated replies (and thus all of this correspondence will be available on the mark's mail server, visible to him if he's logged on as well), or have they somehow intercepted the mail address so that the mark's mail server knows nothing of this correspondence.

And if it's the latter, how do you re-gain control of your mail account?

Hm

tim

Reply to
tim...

If it was a piss weak password then maybe, otherwise they could have hijacked a webmail session in the browser, or whatever the script kiddy hack of the day is, then they changed the password so they know it and the neighbour doesn't

Don't just sit back "baiting" the scammer! Right now he could be using the hacked mail account to change passwords on all your neighbour's bank accounts, or apply for several credit cards ...

Who is the provider? has the neighbour set a recovery address/password/mobile for the account?

Reply to
Andy Burns

You can set the From: address to whatever you fancy when you send an E-mail.

Reply to
Chris Green

Most servers won't accept a post with a reply to/from email address it doesn't recognise.

Reply to
Fredxx

When suppliers/companies get hacked the hackers often to get a set of usernames and passwords (or encrypted passwords, which they can try cracking at leisure). Would you believe, people often use the same pasword on all their supplier accounts, and the account name is their email address! The scammer has prob. bought a list of email adresses and "passwords" and is hoping the user used the same password on their mail account!

You can send email with anything in the From: field. The scammer though has to read the replies, so probably wants to get things done before the hacked account gets fixed.

Just a thought, has the scammers emails got a Reply-To: field? If yso you are sending replies there.

Reply to
Jim Jackson

What email software is he using or is it webmail?

Can you get access to the full text of the email including the headers?

(e.g. CTRL + U in thunderbird, or in outlook double click to open the message in a new window, click the file tab, then the properties button, see the "internet headers" section at the bottom).

That will show you all the info about how it was routed and via which ISPs etc. (if you are not sure, email me a copy and I will analyse it for you)

Reply to
John Rumm

Obviously neighbour's one does. Note that the header fields (such as From: etc) are part of the data of the email and are not directly used to route the email. Your email client sends separate commands to the server to say where the email is to go and to whom.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Eh? Not sure you really understand SMTP email. It may be that google/hotmail/micky-mouse-web-mail make sure you have a google or whatever email address in the from field, but you can bet the scammers use their own email server software configured to do whatever they want

- and it's trivial to setup.

Reply to
Jim Jackson

Yes, but anyone trying to fool you will use a server that isn't strict like this.

Reply to
Chris Green

Not sure *you* understand modern SMTP email:

If the recipient's mail provider is any good, failing those will cause an incoming message to get a much higher spam score and so be at risk of landing in the spam box.

Which is not to say a spammer won't try anyway, and they have no other option if they're operating off a hacked machine.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

Are you sure the email address is exactly the same as his? I've seen some that are just one letter different, that needs no hacking at all! Often it just means that somebody has managed to get an email list. Of course you can really hack in which case the other person will probably no longer to get into their email at all. Somebody told me than an old address I had years ago which I never use has become active again, but its certainly not me and I don't even remember its password now. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Not always, some isps stop that kind of thing these days. I know on Virgin if its not one of my aliases then it simply does not work. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

He already has someone sorting it for him

Reply to
tim...

if that's the address I'm sending my reply to it still has to be intercepted

Reply to
tim...

no idea

but I am :-)

No idea

well thanks but I'm not that concerned

Reply to
tim...

On 08/09/2021 07:56, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote: Somebody told me than an old address

I "think" that a gmail address once used will never be reissued. But 3 or 4 years ago I bought a domain name. Having set up an email account that accepts snipped-for-privacy@domain.co.uk I started getting lots of email to names I have never heard of. Turns out the the domain used to belong to a small business that has gone under and I was now getting all of the standard crap that goes to small businesses. Much reduced now but still get some.

Reply to
Chris B

Oh, dont bet on that.

When I had domain routing enabled I got any amount of weird crap coming in. These guys have dictionaries of common names and they try them all.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

What are talking about here? The From: field or the rcpt from email given in the smtp transaction? They aren't the same. The two not matching might up the spam score a bit.

Reply to
Jim Jackson

Well maybe, but during my investigations the way-back machine showed what the business used to sell :-) and indeed some of the staff members names.

Reply to
Chris B

A certain domain, say example.com, nominates servers that are authoritative senders of email from that domain. So if I send an email from snipped-for-privacy@example.com, unless it comes from the nominated server for the example.com domain, it'll flag as spam. It doesn't matter what's in the From field or SMTP envelope if it doesn't come from the right server.

(of course, there's plenty of complexity in the nuances and dealing with things like mailing lists, but that's the idea)

Hence there's now a stronger binding between email addresses and where messages are sent from, which causes various implications for people with forwarding/etc arrangements who want their mail to be received reliably. It means in general you need to send from a server that's registered on your domain, you can't (for example) send via your ISP's mail server claiming to be from your domain.

The big mail hosts (Google, Microsoft) are gradually dialling up these settings to block spam, but means smaller and self-hosted senders need to comply if they want reliable delivery.

Theo

Reply to
Theo