Subject Author Posted Replies

Broadband with added fibre?
There was a man down a BT hole at the top of our road so I walked up and asked him what they were doing. They are laying the fibre optic cable and the roadside boxes are due to go in next week. My...
9 years ago 53

Worcestor Bosch programmer display blank after power cut
On Saturday Electricity Northwest turned our power off for the day to replace some poles and cable which some thieving gits stole while the power was off after the November 2009 floods. Since the...
9 years ago 2

fixing fan to wall - inch thick rubber pad ?
I want to make a rubber / plywood sandwich to mount a fan on. 25mm each. Anyone know where I can get 25mm thick rubber, size about 150mm square ? Cheers, Simon. This firm:- A E Taylor rubber sheet up...
9 years ago 14

Removing broken screws from concrete ...
While dismantling my spare loo to fit a combined waste/soil pipe (see posts passim !) I broke the screws I used to fit the loo and wooden paneling to the floor. Luckily I was able to unscrew two...
9 years ago 4

Re: Return of Sherlock Holmes - The Abbey Grange.
They could have bought 'period' wiring etc. from here: (follow the links at the right of the page for more retro electrical goodies) (have a look at the 'Weathertight' range under 'Catalogue') They...
9 years ago 1

Painting Alluminium Box
I have an alluminium box which I wish to paint with Black hammerite paint. What is the best way to do this, rough it up with emery or glass paper first to take the shine of it or paint directly onto...
9 years ago 9

Cracked Tiles
About 18 months ago I had my kitchen floor ceramic tiled. These are now cracking where the washing machine is moved out for maintenance. Also the fridge. I have replacement tiles available; but need...
9 years ago 14

Plumbing keeps popping
40mm compression fitting, an elbow, keeps popping off, but I cant find anything wrong with it. It gets done up firmly each time, but still comes off. The only thing I suspect about it is that the pipe...
9 years ago 18

OT New Broadband ADSL2+
Hi All Have just been told by BT that I am being moved from ADSL to ADSL2+ next week and that I could get faster broadband as a result Considering that I am 6km from the exchange and that the cables...
9 years ago 24

Lighting ideas for undercabinet lighting?
Hi guys I'm looking for any ideas for under cabinet lighting on a soon to be fitted new kitchen. The pelmet isn't that big so it would need to be something slim line. I've had a look at some LED...
9 years ago 12

Gas boiler, Vaillant or Worcester? Recommendations please.
I am on the verge of placing an order for a 15kW open vent condensing gas boiler, with vertical flue, and have narrowed the choice to the following: Valliant ecoTEC plus 415 or Worcester Greenstar...
9 years ago 9

Damaged soil pipe - easy repair ?
Finally fitter the combined toilet & waste pipe to the back of the cloakroom toilet yesterday. As I was disassembling it, the flared lip on the ceramic pipe that comes out of the ground cracked,...
9 years ago 3

Wiki: Loft Hatch Install
==Cutting a joist== Loft floor joists are generally spaced too closely to leave space for a practically sized loft hatch, so one joist is cut away to give enough space for the hatch. This is done as...
9 years ago 1

Underlay: foam or rubber stuff more durable?
I'm having some carpet replaced; have decided to retain most of the the old (rubber Tredaire) rather than replace that too, as most of it is in good nick. That said, I am replacing a few areas which...
9 years ago 3

Update on the unusual bog cistern filler tower ...
Well, I fitted it all in this weekend, and after a couple of false starts with the bloody thing leaking via the bolt holes for the cistern to pan coupling bolts, it all seems to (basically - more in a...
9 years ago 24