Electrical Timer

Hello

I was given a adapter that plugged into an electrical socket and switches anything plugged into it off and on according to a timer. A bit like a boiler timer. According to the packaging it is not suitable for use with low energy bulbs. Does anyone know why these kind of timers don't work with low energy bulbs? I was hoping to use it to control a row of lights in a shed with chicken pens in it.

Reply to
Chade

It likely uses an electronic switch. A good old fashioned relay will switch any type of load.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Could you replace one or two bulbs with normal ones?

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

As its many CFLs not one you may find it works. Maybe

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Solid state control rather than relays probably. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Sometimes there is no reason at all for such warnings as the timer will work perfectly well. Chinese manufacturers seem to delight in saving the odd Renminbi on translation by randomly re-using text which appears on unrelated products. In other cases some will cause some low energy bulbs to flicker slightly when off. Before doing anything else try it with a bulb of the sort you want to use, quite often you will find it will work without a problem.

Reply to
Peter Parry

On Wednesday 13 March 2013 23:23 Chade wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Possibly triac switching - and they are being cautious...

The timers I have for the heaters are relay based, they don't care what they switch.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Thanks everyone for your replies. I will try to substitute one of the energy saving bulbs with an incandescent one.

Reply to
Chade