Plug in timer "not suitable for washing machines"?!

I have a digital plug in timer which says on the back, "Not suitable for dishwashers and washing machines". The only reason I can think of is the inductance of the motor. But it's rated at 3.2kW, and it uses a relay (I can hear it). So why?
--
While taking down the vitals for a soon-to-be mom, I asked how much she weighed.
"I really don't know," she said.
On Friday, 27 November 2015 15:25:41 UTC, Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:

Could be the electronics in the timer are not protected against transients generated by the motor.

But the motor is on a seperate circuit, separated by the relay contacts. If a transistor did the switching, I would agree.
--
Peter is listening to "Fredzefred - All da Motha Fuckas"

But you'd expect them to say "Not suitable for dishwashers and washing machines or motors".
Well most machines these days seem to use their own delay timers and need to be powered to keep the machine in the mode you set it to on the menu. If its an old mechanical one then I'd have no issues, but of course with cold fill the heater is often quite a high current. Brian
--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
The timer is rated at 3.2kW, so it's not the current that's the problem.

--
The only two animals that can see behind themselves without turning their heads are the rabbit and the parrot.

If you were on an Economy 7 tariff you would think differently!

Most recent machines require mains supply to hold the settings until you press the start button - or the onboard timer selects start. I guess the timer manufacturer is warning of this likelyhood to avoid complaints.
On 27/11/2015 18:41, DerbyBorn wrote:

You nailed it.
On 27/11/2015 18:52, Albert Zweistein wrote:

Tumble driers also won't work with a plug in time so you can use a timer to force them to run during the economy 7 cheap period. :-(
You have to use your brain to work out home many hours the drier's own delay start timer should be set to use the cheap period.
--
Michael Chare

On 27/11/2015 19:54, Michael Chare wrote:

To make matters worse npower off-peak starts at 10:30pm for a couple of hours but then reverts to full price for an hour or so after that before starting off-peak again. I think they are a German Company so they probably hate English consumers. :-(

Is economy 7 really the best for you? Have you taken stock recently?
On 27/11/2015 21:20, DerbyBorn wrote:

Yeah it is, I've got this special high tech timer called an alarm clock that's set to go off when I have to start a wash/dryer cycle. I can live with getting up in the middle of the night for an hour once a week. I'm really tough. :)
On Fri, 27 Nov 2015 18:41:15 GMT, DerbyBorn wrote:

I've a John Lewis own-brand (basically AEG) and if I put in all the settings, including delay timer, then switch off at the socket it holds all of the settings. If I use the switch on the machine the programme reverts to Cotton 60. I've never tried starting it first then switching off at the socket and back on - must do so some time. I still have a box with an electromechanical time and 13A socket that was built for a GF's machine about 30-odd years ago.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Some do handle what they think it's a short term mains failure gracefully by just carrying on regardless when the mains comes back, but those are usually the better designed ones which will almost certainly have a delayed start function so you can get it to use the power when its cheapest.

Yeah, it would be much more convenient to get a better designed machine.

Because some get cheaper electricity at some times of the day.

I do too, but the electricity costs the same regardless of when I use it and I wash in cold water anyway so the amount of power it uses isn't very high at all, not enough to bother about even if I was on a time of use tariff.

And for higher power devices like washing machines and dishwashers when on a time of use tariff.

It might be because they are usually programmable and don't necessarily work properly if you try to turn them on using a timer in the sense that they won't necessarily have kept the program you have programmed.

It may be rated for the motor current if its that.