Worcs Bosch R40 HE Groaning

Problem when boiler cycles with a shut down I get whoosing/groaing sound. Thought it was the fan but having changed it I've still got the problem. Any ideas ?

Rob

Reply to
Gone Fishin

Sounds like the pump overrun timer is not doing its job of taking the excess heat away when the burner shuts off.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Agreed. This is a plain heating boiler, I can't remember if it has an integral pump or not. If not there is the possibility that the pump is not wired to the boiler but directly in parallel with the boiler's demand signal. This means there'd be no pump overrun.

If the problem is noise, is this a new noise? has this always been there but now got worse? One person's shoosh is another hiss so really hard to know.

Reply to
ed

Does not have integral pump. Is the overide pump timer on main PCB ? Can't find any sign of external control PCB. Noise apparent for about

12 months not before.
Reply to
Gone Fishin

pump or not. If not there is the possibility that the pump is not wired to the boiler but directly in parallel with the boiler's demand signal. This m eans there'd be no pump overrun.

e but now got worse? One person's shoosh is another hiss so really hard to know.

This is one where I can only really speculate. The boiler is meant to contr ol the pump and uses its permanent supply to do this. Occasionally they are (mis-) fitted so that the pump simply comes on whenever the boiler is requ ired to fire. The problem will occur when the boiler stop in full flight wh en the time switch or wall thermostat cuts-off.

It could be no problem, it might just be that when the zone valves close th e pump then has to work against the closed valve or a by pass valve and mak es a whooshing noise.

Reply to
ed