plug in timer

I have a cheaper coffee pot maker (inherited and makes good coffee) that I like but it doesn't have a built in timer like my old one. I want to buy a timer that works like the built in kind that is always set say to 2 hours and each time I plug in the coffee pot, it counts down from 2 hours or whatever I have it last set at. I don't want to have to reset it each time I use the coffee pot. Does something like this exist as a plug in? I looked so far on line and in one or two stores without luck.

Reply to
Doug

If you find one, let me know. I'd like a similar device to turn off the battery charger for a drill after 5-7 hours.

Reply to
HeyBub

I have had one for years and years and was going to go and see who made it so I could tell you but at the moment I can't find it so maybe I should say I _had_ one. In any case, Belkin makes something that might work but it doesn't have a 2-hour period, just ½, 3, and 6 hours. Cheap enough though:

John McGaw

You go to weird stores-- I think they are $8-10 in every hardware store I've ever been in.

Harbor Freight has them for $5-

On/off as many times a day as there are 15 minute increments.

I've had a $10 one running my coffee pot for 10 years--- that's about

5 $10 coffee pots.

The HF ones have been running my grow lights for 3-4 years .

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Thanks John. This looks like the closest to what I have in mind. I guess I tried in too many words that some didn't understand me. Your timer says it better... I want a power timerthat is on-demand instead of on a schedule. I wish it had a 2 hour instead of 3 hour (like my old coffee pot) but still this is basically what I have in mind. Now just to ask for more, is there something just like this but instead of

1/2, 3 and 6 hours, allows for varied amount of time that you can set it and it stays at that amount until you make it different ... still tho as a on demand timer like this one ? Thanks John again.
Reply to
Doug

Not quite so simple as the first one I proposed nor as cheap but this might do:

John McGaw

Yep that's basically what I have in mind tho it may not be convenient to operate but you understood me perfectly. Appreciate your replies and thank you !!!!!

Reply to
Doug

-snip-

You do realize that the timers that Oren and I posted have on off switches and can be spun to the current time with a flick of the wrist, right?

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

The idea is not to turn anything on or off at a particular time but to turn something off x hours from _now_ ,whenever now might be, with as little fuss as possible. In other words "press the button and use the appliance with the assurance that in two hours it will turn off in case I forget to".

Reply to
John McGaw

Yes Jim. I have something similar (identical ??) but it needs input as to when to go on and how much. I think it's better suited for lamps when usually you know when you want the lamp to go on and how long it should stay on. Once you program it, it essentially is a constant unless you change it. The difference with my coffee pot is I don't know when I want it to start it each day or thru out the day but I do know how long it should stay on for each use.

That said, your timer whether right or wrong for my purpose, deserves a thank you from me to you and Oren (among others too). I know everyone is just trying to help me. I appreciate the help, thank you all !!

Reply to
Doug

set it to turn on at noon, off at 2pm. when you get there, simply plug in and rotate the dial to noon to turn it on. when you leave, unplug.

Reply to
chaniarts

First off I don't have an old microwave oven to tear down and 2nd I want it to stay on for about 2 hours. Yes I guess I have to buy something else.

Reply to
Doug

I guess this works. Not exactly what I had in mind but I guess you get the same results as long as you remember to turn the dial to noon . Thanks !!

Reply to
Doug

"Doug" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

We had timers like these in our lab. They could either turn on or turn off appliances etc.

think this is the type you want, but you probably could get half a dozen coffeemakers for that price ...

Reply to
Han

We use our coffee pots differently-- Mine goes on at 6:15 & off at 11 unless I tell it not to. Back in the day when alarms mattered to me, if the alarm failed, the smell of fresh coffee woke me up.

You're Welcome-- I was just thinking that for 1/2 the price, and twice the versatility, it would do what you wanted, and more.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

I don't see how that meets the reqts as outlined. These 24 hour timers are very common and available everywhere. What he appears to want is a timer that will shut off the coffee pot 2 hours after it is turned on and actually makes coffee, whatever that time of day may happen to be.

Reply to
trader4

On Fri, 22 Jun 2012 08:45:17 -0400, John McGaw wrote Re Re: plug in timer:

That's a nice product.

Reply to
CRNG

I use a cheap timer like this one from Harbor Freight

$4.99 and set it to (for example) turn on at 3 pm and off at 5 pm, but don't bother to actually set it to the reall time. When I want to use it with a dumb battery charger, I just spin the timer till the pilot light comes on, and know that it will shut off 2 hours later. Of course, If I forget to unplug the charger before the next day, it will run through the

2 hour cycle again.
Reply to
Larry W

Yes, it's good to know they exist. I don't have a need for one right now and may never, but if I do, now I know where to find it.

Reply to
trader4