Plug-in timer spec ?

7 Day Digital LCD Electronic Plug-in Programmable 12/24 Hour Timer Switch / 30ma RCD
240VAC, 13(4)A, Max. 3120W - Battery back-up - AM/PM or 24 hour display
What does the (4) indicate?
Andy C

Max current for an inductive load.
--
Andrew Gabriel
On 16/12/16 16:49, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Thanks.
So what would that mean in practical terms i.e. what equipment can and can't be used with it and how would the man in the street know ?
Andy Cap wrote:

Avoid most motor loads. Even something like a 1hp motor would draw 10 or more amps on start up. Motors with a controlled start up such as modern washing machines are possibly OK. I suspect the 4amp rating will also apply to heavily capacitive loads and should be thought of as a limit for Reactive loads.
As for the man in the street? Most won't know and that goes for the man in the shop too I suspect and would be none the wiser if the restriction was spelt out on the packaging.
On 16/12/2016 17:05, Andy Cap wrote:

I have run my Liebherr fridge on one since 2010 when the thermostat failed just as the 2 year warranty expired, and the UK agent for Liebherr won't sell me a thermostat.
However, I find that every few days it would lose all its settings (Smiths timer). Eventually I plugged it into a BT surge protector that I bought in an electronic junk shop (ex BT exchange). Problem never re-occurred, but I never worked out what was causing it. BY the time I has realised that the fridge wasn't running, many hours had already passed. I don't have an wireless tat in my house but the neighbours on the same phase might have.
So beware of spurious resets if you are running something important.
Andrew wrote:

    I gave all my electronic timers to the charity shop. They were a pain to set up and change. Mechanical timers IME are cheap, easy to use and reliable.
On Friday, 16 December 2016 22:23:30 UTC, Capitol wrote:

I wonder how long it will take the Great Public to realise that.
NT
On 16/12/16 22:23, Capitol wrote:

I'm guessing you're still using a mechanical adding-machine !!

AOL!
I simply cannot get my brain around the setting instructions:-(
A sparks fitted one to control a heat recovery extract fan in a rented flat. The tenant wanted to change the settings but neither she (Portuguese) not I could grasp the required pin pushes to get a simple fixed on/off daily operation.
--
Tim Lamb

Tim Lamb wrote:

They can be a pain, and I have certainly replaced some failed electronic ones with cheap mechanicals.
However, as I think I discussed here some time ago, what the mechanical ones cannot do nowadays is select permanently off, or anticipate the next switching operation, then resume as programmed.
I also got through two digital immersion boost timers (one replaced under warranty), only installed as back-up to my gas heating, without ever using them in anger, and now replaced with a mechanical timer, which doesn't even have to wear itself out by running.
Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
snipped-for-privacy@cdixon.me.uk
On Saturday, 17 December 2016 10:47:38 UTC, Chris J Dixon wrote:

When the IoT ones appear you won't even have to change them twice a year for GMT etc... And you'll be able to switch things off and on in the home while driving ;-)