CFL Pendant Fitting

I visited a freind in a Retirement Home on Tues. All looking very homely except for a few bare CFLs in his hallway.

I noticed the lampholder was something I hadn't see before so I didn't offer to go back to fit some lampshades without doing a bit of research.

It seems the lampholder only accepts a special CFL (I guess the control gear is in the lampholder).

What are the issues around fitting a lampshade - I am guessing a conventional one with a ring will be too small. I think there were 3 lugs around the lampholder.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Do your friend a favour and swap the fittings for something like

The 3 pin fittings date back to old Part L building regs and are no longer used.

Reply to
ARW

IIRC they only take a certain type of lamp, which cost an arm & a leg.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Yes - the 3 pin ones!!!!

Reply to
ARW

That had a simply wonderful inevitability about it. So pleased I decided to follow this thread. :)

Reply to
GB

And the three pin cfl lamps are just the same as the 2 pin cfls regarding lamp shades.

Reply to
ARW

Can I safely assume that the ceiling rose is conventional and I would really only need to change the lampholder to a conventional one? (Thought - I wonder if they are part of a maintained emergency circuit?)

Reply to
DerbyBorn

YES:-) Just change the lampholder. That's what I would do.

Any emergency lighting will not be powering a 3 pin lamp.

Reply to
ARW