That Stuff (TM)?

Dad used to have a great hand cleaner called something like That Stuff. It was white and had bits in and came in a squish bottle shaped a bit like a fat Dalek. It would easily remove paint, grease and oil from your hands without stripping the skin.

It doesn't seem to exist any more but is there anything like it? Swarfega just seems pointless - Fairy does a better job.

Alex

Reply to
Alexander Lamaison

Is this that? Or maybe is that this?

Doesn't help as link from there doesn't work. :-(

Reply to
polygonum

I find Lidl hand cleaner very good. White with bits in it. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

mix white spirit with Fairy and it more or less IS Swarfega.

the white spirit dissolves the grease and the fairy dissolves the white spirit..

Then add in a little bit of grit for scouring, and its the generic product you describe - detergent + organic solvent + grit. (+- colour and scent)

I remember a pink gunk in the factory years ago. Same basic formulation.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Fairy and white sugar even better. A good use for it given we're not allowed to eat the stuff any more

Reply to
stuart noble

+1 It does work amazingly well, it's cheap, and reasonably non-toxic.
Reply to
S Viemeister

Presumably you mix them when you use them, right? :P Or does fairy not dissolve sugar?

Alex

Reply to
Alexander Lamaison

Will have to keep an eye out. Didn't see anything in there last week.

Reply to
Alexander Lamaison

I can't remember what the logo looked like :-( I'm not even 100% sure of the name.

Reply to
Alexander Lamaison

There's white spirit in Swarfega? I'd expect it to work a hell of a lot better than it does, then. I've got the green stuff ('Original'). Maybe the other colours are better.

Alex

Reply to
Alexander Lamaison

On Thursday 14 March 2013 14:12 Alexander Lamaison wrote in uk.d-i-y:

You are applying the Swarfega onto dry hands (before adding water) aren't you?

Tufenega is better (has the grit in) but swarfega was still working for oil and grease last time I tried...

Reply to
Tim Watts

Good question. I'm not sure. The hands just do what they do, and I take no responsibility. Will pay attention next time.

Alex

Reply to
Alexander Lamaison

I use this, it's better then anything i have tried in the past

can't be arsed mixing my own concoction when all i need to do is clean my hands

-
Reply to
Mark

In message , Alexander Lamaison writes

When I was getting epoxy, paint and all sorts of other stuff on my hands about 20 years ago, I found some white stuff in a tub that was better than any hand cleaner I've tried before or since. I got it from a fibreglass supplier. My son sent me there last summer to collect some glass and resin to do his roof, and while I was there I bought a tub of what looks to be the same stuff, but was packaged slightly differently. I haven't used it yet to see if it is as good (still using up the Swarfega and the useless Aldi stuff), but it's in their catalogue as C-155 Cleansing cream

I have no connection with them, except for paying them money (must talk to son about that).

Reply to
Bill

The Lidl stuff is excellent for cleaning hands after doing serious things to the car. Better than ordinary soft Swarfega. Cheap, too.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

On Thursday 14 March 2013 15:05 Alexander Lamaison wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Water first reduces the effectiveness massively - that's why I asked :) Bit like trying to clean your paint brushes in white spirit after rinsing them in water...

That's now my official excuse for my rubbish typing...

Reply to
Tim Watts

On Thursday 14 March 2013 15:23 Bill wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Ultimately, it's best to apply some barrier cream *before* getting covered in crap - it's a lot easier to clean off afterwards. Still might need strong cleaner, but a lot less rubbing.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Agreed. Very much the best idea.

School metalwork - get to the workshop, put on overalls, slap on Rozalex (pink, and quite lumpy). Then all we had for washing was cold water and crappy soap - but most of the muck did come off.

Probably completely different now:

polygonum

Decent garages have tubs of hand cleaner which works very well. Ask?

Reply to
Mr Pounder

In message , Alexander Lamaison writes

That's Swarfega Green. Swarfega Orange has bits in it.

Reply to
usenet2012