Subject Author Posted Replies

Which grab adhesive?
I need some sticky stuff (treated/unpainted wood to powder coated metal, little shear/peel force, exterior use and will have some exposure to rain/dew, no direct sunlight) My first inclination is to...
9 years ago 9

Loft Storage floor
Hi I've just had my loft insulated to 270mm and now have a problem, where the hell to put all the boxes that came out of it without crushing the insulation or wrecking the insulation every time I need...
9 years ago 13

bi fold doors
my name is jon i recently fitted a bi fold door between an extension i just built and the main house the opening was too small for the orginal size door so i cut the door to fit and hung with 3 hinges...
9 years ago 30

Fridge/freezer woes
Hello All. I've got a 20 year old Bosch frost-free f/f. A couple of times in the last fortnight (that I've heard), the unit has made what I can best describe as a loud pop, but continued to work. Now,...
9 years ago 11

Central Heating Problem - Maybe I can get all the facts right this time!
In the area where the pump is I've now removed all the housing so I acn see what's going on. The pump impeller shaft is definitely turning, but I have no way of knowing whether the impeller has come...
9 years ago 3

New wiki article - diversity
adapt adopt improve as usual: Oh, *that* sort of diversity - rather than the usual PC clap-trap! Perhaps the title should be Diversity (Electrical). Also: - I think John needs to make it clear that...
9 years ago 29

Central heating Stopped Working - Brrrr Urgent Please!
We just noticed that the house is getting really chilly. The boiler seems to be working. Hot water is still hot. The circulation pump is making noises. The flow and return pipes are really hot. We...
9 years ago 15

OT: recommendations for laser colour printers
I need to buy a laser colour printer with duplex and a network connection; it will be for home and light business use. Any suggestions of which to avoid and which to look at? Are laser photo prints...
9 years ago 26

Tiny Bathroom
My tiny bathroom measures only 190cm x 155cm and comprises a shower cubicle, a toilet and a basin. I drastically need to update to a clean, smart and modern design and maximise space, particularly the...
9 years ago 60

Wall Hung Toilets
Is there an occupancy weight-limit to wall-hung loo? Not especially IME. They usually bolt to a solid metal frame that you conceal in the wall, and that spreads the loadings out over a wide area....
9 years ago 18

Watchman Alarm for oil tank - fitting query
I purchased a Watchman Alarm a few days ago to fit to my oil tank. My oil tank already has a pre-drilled hole with a sticker besides it saying 'Watchman Alarm' - unfortunately the hole is only 25mm...
9 years ago 1

Oil burner cooker experts in Hampshire ?
Hi My friends oil burning Esse cooker keeps playing up and she is having difficulty finding reliable engineers. She's near Fordingbridge in south Hampshire. Any recommendations or pointers to where I...
9 years ago

Fire alarm for an outbuilding - recommendations please ?
Hi folks In order to trade at the local markets, I have to carry Public Liability insurance (6.5 million euro! ) Insurance renewal time is coming up again - and one insurer was offering me 'premises'...
9 years ago 8

SDS Drill recommendation please
I am in the market for a new one. Having popped into B&Q I see a good number of these with a great price difference. Bearing in mind that I will be using it for fairly infrequent D-I-Y work what are...
9 years ago 48

Brass spinning
Metal spinning is yet another skill that I've never tried or even seen done. I want to make a couple of round brass lids. Basically about 3 inches across with the edge turned down about a quarter of...
9 years ago 21