Intermittent fault on car windows

Skoda a year old, occasionally some of the electric windows won't open and then two minutes later will. I know I can take it to the garage under warranty but it is a waste of half a day if it is an easily fixed problem.

Any suggestions.

Thanks

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

In message , Jonathan writes

I had an Octavia estate that would occasionally open its windows when left locked. That took 2 visits to the main dealer to sort out. The

1st to diagnose and the 2nd to fit the part they didn't have in stock on the 1st visit.
Reply to
Bill

If it's under warranty take it to the garage, it's their problem. Then, when they break the plastic clips holding the door panel on, they can replace 'em.

Reply to
brass monkey

Didn't they initially blame you, for sitting on your keys in your back pocket?

I'm being serious. I have an Octavia, and if I press the door unlock button on the fob for >3 seconds, all four windows open.

In the same way, the door lock button will close the windows, now

*that's* very useful, but I can't see why anyone would want to open them remotely.
Reply to
Graham.

To cool the car down a bit when it's been in the sun? That's what I use it for.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In message , Graham. writes

Indeed they did! So I was very careful to place the keys on one side when I got home and still found a window open. After that I managed to get them to look into it. I never found a real use for the opening function, apart from being able to leave all the windows an inch or so down in one hit rather than doing them one at a time in hot weather when leaving the car for a short while.

Reply to
Bill

Well I have been very lucky not to have had all by stuff pinched, as I have done this accidentally on several occasions.

Reply to
Graham.

depends on how far. My C5 has a button for "part opening" the windows. If it's hot & sunny, I need to remember to use the button to allow a bit of air circulation.

Reply to
charles

In the old days, cleaning a brass contact used to cure such things, but nowadays when even the smallest electrical thing seems to go via some so called intelligent system, goodness only knows.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

d then two minutes later will. I know I can take it to the garage under war= ranty but it is a waste of half a day if it is an easily fixed problem. Any= suggestions. Thanks Jonathan

On our VolksWagen Lupo the window will suddenly decide to open itself for n= o reason. To stop this we eventually took the fuse out. I sounds like a = switch issue to me but VW said they would have to replace the whole window = motor (=A3500+).=20

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

and then two minutes later will. I know I can take it to the garage under w= arranty but it is a waste of half a day if it is an easily fixed problem. A= ny suggestions. Thanks Jonathan

no reason. =A0 To stop this we eventually took the fuse out. =A0I sounds l= ike a switch issue to me but VW said they would have to replace the whole w= indow motor (=A3500+).

I don't think it's a switch issue because the driver has switches for all the windows as well as the individual switches on each door. The behavior is the same regardless of which switch is used.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

Why not get the garage to pick it up, fix and drop it back, customer service and all that? It will be paid for. Do you really have to take the time off?

Reply to
Adrian C

You likely need a better garage. The motor itself can't do that, but the control gear can. Unless it's all in one.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)