Subject Author Posted Replies

Never damage asbestos tiles.
Asbestos was widely used till there are chances that it contains asbestos.But it is not dangerous unless you try to rip them out and particles become call a professional agency to cover these visit...
9 years ago 8

Resistance of gas valve solenoid
Bit of a head-scratcher today. Couple of days ago I was called to look at a newish Ferroli boiler[1] (DOMIcompact F24D) which seemed to have its gas valve packed up: went through normal start-up...
9 years ago 14

Well done John Rumm
A couple of weeks ago I posted about a tripping MCB (). John suggested that it could be a fault where the 100m of cable was acting like an aerial causing the MCB to trip. I replaced the MCB and it's...
9 years ago 30

Railway sleeper sizes
Replacing a bridge over a stream at the back of the house. Ordered 20 'railway crossing timbers' in oak creosoted, 3M long by 280mm wide by 150mm thick having discussed my needs with the chap...
9 years ago 12

Many thanks to the group - Fugi advice
A couple of weeks ago or so there was a discussion on the group about the Fugi sealant-finishing tool. Against the day that SWMBO's ensuite shower needed re-sealing, I ordered a Fugi via eBay, which...
9 years ago 7

Idea for a cheap simple wet UFH layout & control system?
I wonder if anyone can advise me on some questions that I cannot find mentioned anywhere on the web for an simple wet UFH project. I have just laid a 7-loop underfloor heating pipe system in my (very...
9 years ago 1

OT: Laptop problems ...
rather foolishly, I left my Packard Bell Easynote SJ51 on for a few days, plugged into AC power. Came down yesterday, and it was dead. Turning it on causes the lights to flash, the fan to spin, but...
9 years ago 14

OT:- How Long Should I Wait ?
Sorry for posting this here chaps, but have posted it on uk.legal and but xcan't find it or any replies. Last year I sold a laptop computer and because the person lived a few miles away, I agreed to...
9 years ago 13

Re-Roofing a log store
Next to our miniature garden shed is a log store erected by the previous owners of our house. A simple wooden frame butted up to the back of a garage supporting a simple roof sloping away from the the...
9 years ago 14

DC or AC supply
I've been given a CCTV camera that has two terminals for the power in. It says DC12V AC24V Does that mean that it will run with DC or AC? I'd like to run it on 12V DC. If it had a half wave rectifier...
9 years ago 4

Juddering Wipers
Hi all What to do to stop car windscreen wipers juddering and squeaking? (Mazda 6 54 plate) If I replace them, they are quiet and effective for a month or so then the problem returns. Looks like...
9 years ago 37

Question for the Mobile Phone Boffins
I get a rubbish signal in my car, with a Blackberry on Orange. Ebay 110613345362 is a two-piece 'booster'. A 15cm aerial allegedly captures the signal in the cabin, and transmits it through the glass...
9 years ago 17

damp problem/solution update
had thought damp at gable end was caused by raised garden bridging the external damp course but removing earth in a trench along the wall had little effect Borough Surveyor set me rights (all but...
9 years ago 7

Gaps around double glazing - keeping out the rain
Hello, My first post in this group after a few months' lurking but hopefully someone can advise. I have a gap around one of the double glazed windows in a recently-purchased house. You can see what I...
9 years ago 4

Alternative shed roofs
hello We're about to get a wooden workshop in our garden, with 25mm loglap T&G walls, a T&G apex roof and floor, with the roof being finished in "40kg" mineral fibre reinforced felt (presumably a 40kg...
9 years ago 2