SSE boss Ian Marchant warns of risk of "lights going out"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-21878059

They should look closer to home for the real reasons the lights are going out.
http://www.sse.com/EnergyPolicy/RenewableEnergy/Wind/
"SSE currently owns 740MW of onshore wind capacity in the UK and Ireland, and has 695MW in construction, including 350MW at our Clyde wind farm in southern Scotland, which is expected to cost £500million when it is due to be commissioned in 2012. By 2020, SSE aims to have over 3GW of onshore wind in operation."
"Offshore wind, although more expensive than onshore wind is attractive due to the strong and consistent wind speeds found out at sea, mitigating issues with intermittency. In 2009 the UK became the leader in offshore wind capacity, a lead expected to increase. SSE is looking to be a market leader in this sector, beginning with the construction of Greater Gabbard, a joint venture with RWE nPower, which at over 500MW will is expected to be the largest offshore wind farm in the World when commissioned in 2012."
Does this mean then that if you set up anice sailing bot in behind the windfarm, it will be becalmed?
Brian
--
From the Bed of Brian Gaff.
The email is valid as snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk
On 21/03/2013 18:16, Brian Gaff wrote:

No, but the wind will be reduced. There's a limit to how much power you can take out of the wind before you stop it completely and new wind with extra energy can't get to you. It has a name, but I forget it.
Andy
On 22/03/13 09:15, Andy Champ wrote:

just watch the tactics in yacht racing. the expression 'taking the wind out of his sails' wasn't invented for no reason..
There is a scientific paper somewhere about the power reduction on windmills placed too close together.
And its the reason why the accepted average power density of a windfarm is only 1-2W/sq.m.
--
Ineptocracy

On Thu, 21 Mar 2013 15:04:10 +0000, The Other Mike wrote:

At the same time they are reducing the available capacity at their coal/gas stations. They are business, business's are there to make money for their shareholders. The best way in the current market is to rake in as much subsidy as you can from windmills and shut down the conventional plant that doesn't have such a large mark up.
--
Cheers
Dave.

You need to make sure you can manage in your house without electricity. Most people's heating/cooking dependson it.
On 21/03/13 15:51, harry wrote:

A house without light and internet is not worth living in.
--
Ineptocracy

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

The greenies are going to take us back to the Dark Ages, literally, which is what they think they want. But how they'll squeal when the lights go out.
Bill

I see you are one of the half wits. The government is going to take us back to the dark ages. "Greenies" have been warning for years about this. Only now you are taking notice.
The greenies won't be squealing, most are prepared. You might be squealing, but you're a halfwit arncha?
On Friday 22 March 2013 08:36 harry wrote in uk.d-i-y:

The greenies are the ones who wanted a load of fuck usless windmills and PV systems installed, instead of looking towards innovative nuclear development.

You really are a sad bastard aren't you?
On Friday 22 March 2013 08:36 harry wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Nope, because I feel the same way.

Yes I have no gas whatsoever here. I do trust that the idiots keep a few coal stations mothballed and ready to go for those times when existing conditions will be outside the parameters of the system, as I heard some idiot say the other day. Brian
--
From the Bed of Brian Gaff.
The email is valid as snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk

It's not easy/cheap to "mothball" a power station.
The owners are eager to shut them down, they will save money. If there are any power cuts, they can blame the government.
"Greenies" have been predicting this situation for decades. The main reason we are in it is down to inaction by the gov. and the privatisation of our energy services.
Probably next Winter will be crunch time. You need to prepare for it.
Make sure you have alternative heating arrangements and before Winter, lay some essentials in, (food fuel).
This Summer you need to think about getting any fireplaces you might have working. Ideally get a stove.
On Friday 22 March 2013 08:22 harry wrote in uk.d-i-y:

So everyone goes back to (ineffecient) local coal/wood burners.
That was truely a victory for the greens, and the weak previos governments who were afraid of them...
Smog here we come.

You only use it if you have to. You have your own fuel source to hand. No-one can cut it off dopey.
In message

I'm almost looking forward to it!
I've not had a decent power cut since installing the 7KVA genny a few years ago. It has had more test hours on it than real usage hours.
Probably a comment best for other news groups, but if it happens it will be nice to be able to listen on HF without all the local PLT/PLA QRM too. :-)
--
Bill

Not actually that useful in a prolonged power cut.
In any event. if your lights are on and everyone elses are off, you will become a hate figure.
Even if you have solar PV you become a hate figure to the jealous, idle, stupid and incompetant.
On Friday 22 March 2013 08:27 harry wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Your PV is not going to work once the mains goes off.