SSE boss Ian Marchant warns of risk of "lights going out"

Especially when the locals come round and see the roof structure as a legitimate source of firewood.
Judgment day for solar PV parasites is coming, chuck another Green on the fire.
On 22/03/13 10:27, The Other Mike wrote:

+1
--
Ineptocracy

True but I can run my home with no electricity. The PV is to save on my electric bills and get my stolen money back.
You have six months to get yourself a wood/coal burning stove (before next Winter). Get one you can cook on too. Get yourself a pile of wood in.
Stop whinging. You have had fair warning. Get off your arse.
On 22/03/13 08:27, harry wrote:

like those who can't even spell incompetent you mean?
Explain to me how solar PV will keep your lights on after dark?
--
Ineptocracy

On Fri, 22 Mar 2013 11:05:42 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

And during a power cut. Don't the invertors shut down without mains to prevent backfeeding the grid? From both the safety of any line workers and to protect the invertor from trying to power the entire neighbourhood.
--
Cheers
Dave.

Quite right. But see previous post. Stand alone invertors are available.
On Friday 22 March 2013 12:13 Dave Liquorice wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Yes. They have to by design.

Yes.
--
Today is Sweetmorn, the 8th day of Discord in the YOLD 3179
"Jesus died for somebody's sins, but not mine"

Already been there! I've had emergency lighting around the house for the last 10 years or so. During one power cut I had a neighbour confused, "there can't be a power cut because your lights are still on"
As he is next door we now have an agreement that if it becomes a prolonged power outage he can run an extension lead over the fence to me and I can have some of his rather large supply of red diesel. So we will both be happy :-)

--
Bill

Front page of Friday's Times apparently says we have only 2 days stock of Gas at the moment, versus the 15 days we normally have...
And we're just heading into several more days of snow across the country.
--
Andrew Gabriel

The Russians must be laughing all the way to the bank. They're about to snap up Cyprus for a song, with the exploration and drilling rights, and now they can rip us off on gas supply.
--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
On Friday 22 March 2013 00:02 Andrew Gabriel wrote in uk.d-i-y:

I have 3 bags of coal left...
Some blackouts, short but random, would do well to wake the population up to the state we're in. I think the givernment understand, internally, well enough - but wait until the first new nuke is being built for the protests.

I have a four years worth of wood (I don't need much). But Winter's nearly over. Hopefully.
Everybody needs to be taking precautions for next Winter. There could be panic buying of essentials by the fools that are unprepared. So the time to be thinking about it all is now.
On 22/03/2013 08:05, Tim Watts wrote:

Watch the speculators and spivs make money on the spot market to drive the immediate delivery bulk gas price sky high.

There are nothing like enough scientists and engineers in government for a sensible energy policy and far too many lawyers, bean counters and worse still career politicians with no real world experience.
A three day working week with rolling powercuts are very much Tory policy as in shades of 74-5 and Edward Heath's government vs the miners. This time though it is down to wilful prevarication by both political parties who were afraid to invest in new power plant.
--
Regards,
Martin Brown
On Friday 22 March 2013 08:43 Martin Brown wrote in uk.d-i-y:

I'm not suggesting riots, but I think once this all hits home to the electorate (most of who couldn't care less until it's *their* TV/lights/cooker that stops working), there might well be some hard reshuffling of what sort of people are voted in to form government.

Utter bollocks.

Are there actually any people with the appropriate skills?
--
Today is Sweetmorn, the 8th day of Discord in the YOLD 3179
"Jesus died for somebody's sins, but not mine"
On 22/03/2013 08:51, Tim Watts wrote:

How convenient that a crucial pipeline went offline just at the right time to add 50% to the spot market rate. Follow the money....
Be very difficult to prove though these guys have very fancy lawyers.
--
Regards,
Martin Brown

I haven't seen a gasometer/gas holder with any significant stored gas for ages. Do they get used at all these days or just for "bare minimum" storage?
Tim