Subject Author Posted Replies

Keeping waste pipe clear/clean
The waste pipes from my shower and bath to the soil stack, 40mm plastic ones, have runs of approx 2-3 metres. The Shower tray is set on a raised platform of approx 15-20cm. From the shower/bath to the...
9 years ago 4

MK Echo protocol hacking
Been looking at the MK Echo wireless range which seems very interesting, although a bit pricey. It got me thinking about what protocol they use and whether it is encrypted. Playing around with the...
9 years ago 3

Step Drill Vs Cone Drill ?
I have some alluminium boxes that I want to drill holes into for specific item, ie. Switches, fuse holders etc etc. Is it best to use a cone drill or a step drill ? When using a step drill, how is it...
9 years ago 18

Totally OT Amazing fact no 374
The power of one brain In 2007, all the general computers in the world could together perform 6.4 x 1018 (10^18) instructions per second. That roughly equals the number of nerve impulses produced by...
9 years ago

Cost of putting up TV aerial?
My mother in law lives in Suffolk, on her own (she's 90). With the digital changeover soon, she's going to need a new TV aerial (at present has has only a set top one, which is frankly not good). I...
9 years ago 33

Making gear wheels
A laminator has plastic wheels to drive the rollers that pull the lamination pouches through heated rollers. If somebody puts something in that's too thick, the wheels break. I have no idea if spares...
9 years ago 10

Building a kitchen: where do I start?
Moving home shortly and thinking about building a simple kitchen to replace cheap and nasty fitted units. I have modest skills but given care and patience I think I can give it a go. I want to use...
9 years ago 22

car battery trickle chargers
Hi All, I've been aiming to buy a new car battery trickle charger for a while - I've noticed that there are some very small trickle chargers that are 500mA output and looks like a plug in power block....
9 years ago 26

Dyson DC04 vacuum cleaner
What keeps the brush section to the floor, on changing verticality of handle? Is it back torque through the belt/clutch system or some spring action. Got through the topology puzzles to get it all...
9 years ago 9

Left handed Chainsaw
My son had to have some big trees cut down at his new house after the recent gales. He has been left with loads of wood, branches etc., and I lent him the Bosch small electric chainsaw that I've never...
9 years ago 39

OT What are they called - photography question
I'm looking for an open fronted fabric enclosure, used to diffuse light when photographing small objects. However, I don't seem to be able to find the right search engine term. Can anyone help? Colin...
9 years ago 4

LCD Monitor failure modes ?
HI Folks I have a 'no-name' LCD monitor, it used to be on this PC but was replaced by a newer 'widescreen' monitor a couple of weeks ago. Original monitor was intended to replace the ageing CRT...
9 years ago 33

How to kill green stuff on exterior walls prior to painting?
Hi again, On the painted exterior rendered walls of my house there are some areas that have become coated with a typical very fine layer green stuff, mainly where the wall is damp due to a leaking...
9 years ago 14

How ro generate a wifi signal (I have cable broadband)
Hi all, My house has a broadband connection, via BT phone line. How do I create a wifi signal in my house? I need the wifi signal for a mobile device (Android tablet PC), which only seems equipped to...
9 years ago 57

Valor Firelite 4 Oxysafe Gas Fire - Piezo Igniter
We have an 18 month old Valor Firelite 4 Oxysafe Radiant Convector Gas Fire - Model 347. The manual piezo igniter has stopped working and we can no longer light the fire. Have looked on the web, but...
9 years ago 3