Subject Author Posted Replies

Poor hot water flow
Just moved into a 15 year old house. CH and hot water is supplied from a fully pumped gravity fed gas central heating system. The CH and water temperature are fine but the pressure of the hot water is...
9 years ago 11

Thirty seven pounds for a pair of brushes!
For the "genuine" bosch washing machine brushes. And that was one of the reasonable internet suppliers. Compared to £7 for a clone on eBay. There was even a set for £3-50, but the photo didn't show...
9 years ago 2

CFL lamps and dimmer switches
On our dining room wall we have a couple of candelabra-tyoe lights a bit like this: They have hitherto used 40W incandescent BC opal candle bulbs, in conjunction with a dimmer switch to facilitate...
9 years ago 35

Invertor frequency adjustment
Does anyone know if the "mains" frequency of the cheap 300W or so invertors you can get is easy to tweak? Being slightly involved in the local Brownie/Guides/Scouts Thinking Day on the Air activities...
9 years ago 23

Wanted - small variable speed inverter
I'm looking to source a cheap 240v 30watt mains inverter, to enable me to vary the speed of a peristaltic pump, if any one comes across one or happens to have one surplus to requirements. You're not...
9 years ago 24

local ducting supplier
I need to get various items of 125mm ducting including some that are not on toolstation / screwfix or I suspect B&Q (e.g. 125mm round T piece - screwfix only have 100mm Tpiece). Anyone know of a trade...
9 years ago 4

Removing head of "DANFOSS THERMOSTAT" TRV
I am trying to remove the head of a "DANFOSS THERMOSTAT" TRV; it looks thus: unscrewed the retaining clip to the point that I can rotate it around the head freely enough. I then put the head to the...
9 years ago 2

Extension floor bouncing. Can I do this?
My 30 year old extension of dining room / kitchen has a very slight bounce in it. I think the span of joist (12 feet) is probably too long and I want to put some peers below. Would there be any...
9 years ago 21

Help in costing a new toilet
I am looking at some properties so I have limited access at the moment, that would come with second visits to the properties. A few of them may be suitable but lack a downstairs loo. One of them has a...
9 years ago 24

OT : Electrocuted Race Horses
I can't find a decent explanation anywhere - and I know that there are some quite savvy electricians here. So - please can anyone explain what *could* have happened. How can they get a shock from a...
9 years ago 19

TOT - The younger generation
those interested, have a listen to 3 lads in their very early teens (14, 15, 14) singing a rather popular Italian song. (Link lifted from another group) Amazed by the first shot, how any hot blooded...
9 years ago 5

airtight air vent
Right, so the extractor fan for the downstairs loo will actually be mounted on a wall near the kitchen ceiling (then out of the kitchen ceiling with a mushroom vent). Fan is a switched 350m^3/hr or...
9 years ago

Memory mattress...can it please forget?
I have aquired a double bed with memory foam mattresses. The mattress is in two parts, a bit like two single mattresses side by side. Trouble is, is that both mattresses are squashed towards the edge...
9 years ago 7

Removing gloss paint from fireplace bricks .. best way ?
What is the best way to remove gloss paint off a victorian(ish) fireplace. It is painted up to the wooden surround and right up to the mantlepiece. Beneath the paint are small red bricks. Heat gun and...
9 years ago 4

Update - Extending a ladder
Today I extended a 3.6 metre ladder to 4.2 metres. We have two houses with places that we can't quite reach. The extended ladder is wonderfully stable - better than without the extension, because of...
9 years ago 17