Looking for big, robust, plastic cantilever toolbox (like this but bigger)

I'm looking for something like this but bigger:-

I have one of these and it's my favourite toolbox but I'd like something a bit bigger and more robust if possible. It must be a "carry it with your hand" type toolbox though.

Has anyone seen anything that might fill the bill?

Reply to
tinnews

Have you looked at the "FatMax" versions?

Reply to
Andy Burns

I went to every DIY store I knew to get a tool box for my last apprentice. I did not need to ask here.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

I looked at those in B&Q the other day & thought it really flimsy.

Machine Mart?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I liked my first one of these so much that I bought that I bought a second one. Not a cantilever, but the removable "small stuff" lid works very well, IME. There's a trap hazard if you pick the handle up wrong, but you only do that once.

ISTR that it's now cheaper from one of the other "usual suspects".

newshound

Lobody hell! - you're harsher than Adam!

Reply to
PeterC

You might also look in shops that do angling equipment.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Sounds like a fair swap ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

I have a 'wheelie' FatMax which I quite like but it's too big to pop in the back of the car easily and can't be carried easily. Are there cantilever type, smaller, FatMax toolboxes? (I'll take a look anyway)

Reply to
tinnews

Yes, it's not incredibly robust but it is *very* practical to use. It opens out so that the lid rests on the ground and you can access all the contents at the same time.

I've looked there and can't really see anything like I'm looking for.

Reply to
tinnews

Not exactly the same, it's not a cantilever type is it?

Yes, I know the 'Halfords' one is available in several (often slightly differently coloured) guises. I just showed the Halfords one because it's easy to find.

Reply to
tinnews

Yes, I've found a few possibles by following that line but they tend to be smaller and lighter rather than bigger and more robust. I will pursue it though.

Reply to
tinnews

Wickes have them for £20.

The Medway Handyman

snipped-for-privacy@isbd.co.uk:

I use a Raaco Compact, which has a clever design that I find much more flexible and convenient than a cantilever because you can leave it open without taking up a lot of space, and the moveable internal dividers are good.

Read the range description here:

I have a Compact 37 which is a bit bigger than your favourite, and they come a lot bigger than that if you want. See the full range here:

Mike Barnes

Not as far as I can see. As I said I have a big "Fatmax Rolling Cantilever Workshop" which is OK, in fact very good, but is far too big to hump up and down stairs and is awkward to lift into the back of the car single-handed. I'm looking for something somewhere in between.

Reply to
tinnews

I knew I had seen them somewhere! There used to be some quite tough plastic cantilever boxes made in smaller sizes but my experience with larger ones is that the struts are not robust enough. They tend to have moulded pins now instead of proper metal ones. I keep a couple of the multi-partition parts boxes in the bottom of my Stanleys.

Reply to
newshound

... but where do you put the tote tray when you lift it out? The rest sounds quite good though, I'll take a longer look.

The big advantage of the plastic cantilever above (to my mind) is that you open it and that's it, *everything* is accessible.

The huge FatMax rolling cantilever is quite clever too, it has a tote tray but it sits neatly on the opened lid of the top box. Again you can open the thing out, lift out the tote tray onto the lid and

*everything* is accessible.
Reply to
tinnews

Agreed, these are very robust. I also have a couple of the big boxes with wheels at one end and a pull out handle. Just about luggable with the handle; doesn't meet your "spec" but good for storage in garage / workshop as you can stack smaller toolboxes on top of it.

Reply to
newshound

I think this illustration (from the Raaco site) shows what I feel is wrong with boxes like this with a tote tray:-

Look at the last image, tote tray balanced on top of box, can't get into box, tote tray is wobbly. If you put the tote tray on the ground it's further away (I'm geting old) and I always manage to kick it.

Reply to
tinnews

At worst I put it right alongside the main box, in which case it takes up not much more space than a cantilever. If really tight for space I perch it on the box at 90 degrees, which allows reasonable access.

Reply to
Mike Barnes