Lawnmower Problem

I've had a Flymo Turbo Compact 300 for eight years. At the end of last summer I clipped a brick in the garden when mowing. There was a crunch and the machine cut out.

I turned the mower upside down and checked if I could see any bits of the now broken brick stuck in it but there was nothing visible. I then tried to start up the machine up again and there was a screeching sound. It sounded similar to the sound you get momentarily when starting the machine before the blade begins to spin in normal operation. However, now the machine just continued to make the noise at a higher pitch and the blade never started.

Since it was the last mow of the summer I thought I'd put it away and deal with it in next year. Now it's become time to start cutting the lawn again so a couple of days ago I took the blade and impeller off and had a look. There was indeed a small piece of brick stuck against the impeller. I took it out, put the parts back on and tried the machine again. I just got the same results as before though, the screeching sound and no blade movement.

I took the machine apart, this time taking the motor and base plate/pully assy out and had a look. I don't know anything about electronics but from what I could see there is nothing mechanically wrong with any of it.

The grass is getting a bit long now so I want to do something in the next few days. Unless it's a simple fix/part replacement I can do myself I'll probably just replace the machine. I don't see the point in getting someone to work on it since I can get a slightly improved, more recent version for about £40/50 (graded stock) and paying someone can't be much less than that

I know from checking out some reviews on Amazon/Dooyoo and previous posts on this forum that people seem to dislike Flymo's. Please don't tell me to get a petrol mower as I really don't want to spend more money than necessary and I need something light and fairly compact as the machine is stored in the house.

Does anyone have any ideas what the problem is and what I can do to solve it?

Thanks for any help you guys can give me.

Reply to
ht

Don't know one 'Flymo' from another, and certainly non that have an impeller fan (turbo) but from what you describe it sounds like these machine could well have a centrifugal clutch, the sudden stalling of the blades due to the brick has probably broken something within this unit - hence the noise.

I suspect that the machine is indeed, in effect, beyond economical repair if you will have to pay someone to look at it.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

I don't see the point

It's 8 years old and as you say may not cost too much to replace. I'd replace it if I was you.

Funnily enough, my Flymo Compact hover has just started playing up after 6 years. I've got my eyes down to a Qualcast Bosch Power-Trak 4000. The best price I can find is online at either Argos or Homebase (both owned by Argos) for £119.99.

Link below...

RedOnRed

I think you have done well with that one.

I have bought the Flymo for the last 2 times.

They only last 2 years for me at the most, but then again I do give them a dam good hammering.

One thing I have noticed is that the blade design has changed, and that the blade of my new one is made of a much softer matl, and is slightly smaller in length, and its sharpness does not last as long..

So I've changed that blade with my old one.

Reply to
gray

I have a 20 year old hayterette.

You get what you pay for.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Thanks for all your opinions.

I've ordered myself a new one :)

Reply to
ht

Hi,

the TC300 is a belt drive machine. I'm assuming that you would have noticed if the belt was broken or shredded. The problem is then most likely with the large pulley that the blade/impeller bolts into. I am guessing that either something is stuck between the pulley and the plate which holds it or perhaps the bearing is damaged or has come loose and the pulley is not sitting flat.

Take the belt off and check whether the pulley spins freely. If the pulley or the plate which holds it are damaged then you need to replace the assembly - I am guessing =A320ish from your local mower repair place.

Alternatively, perhaps the impeller is rubbing on the body of the machine - perhaps it is cracked.

Check this and let us know how you get on.

If you are replacing it then do you really need a hover mower? If not, then get a wheeled/roller machine with an induction motor. The Mountfield Princess is a great machine or alternatively, there are cheaper machines made in Italy under various brands. I think the manufacturer is Castel Garden. Please go to an independent mower place rather than a shed. They should be fairly competitive on price but most importantly will give you good advice and after sales.

Alan.

Reply to
Alan

Spooky .. I 'refurbished' Mums TC300 today!

It started with 'can you fit the new blade for me' the other day (and I did) and she later that day did the back lawn then halfway through the front lawn it 'stopped'.

A quick look today showed a partly shredded drive belt that had jumped off the motor spindle and done some damage to the main body and the bottom of the main turbo fan impleller.

I cleaned the whole thing up, fitted a new belt (8 quid?) and put it back together and I have a happy Mum again ;-)

Looking closely at the poly 'V' belt it looks like it has been running for some time with one 'V' hanging over the end of the drive pulley?

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m