superglue as glass filler?

I found an old "King Bee" car tail-light & bezel up in the roof space of the workshop, and it's all cleaned up surprisingly well - but there are a couple of little scuff marks on the glass lens. Can I use a little dab of superglue to fill these and then lightly sand/polish afterwards?

Cosmetic appearance more important than optical, of course, and it doesn't matter if it's not perfect as long as it makes the marks less noticable (not that they are already, particularly).

(There's the remains of a '39 Packard 110 kicking around in our woods, so it quite possibly came from that originally - I've not been able to find a good back-end photo of one online in order to check)

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

If it's 'real glass' rather than plastic, see if you can beg, steal or borrow a little of the special 'superglue' that they use for repairing car windscreens. Can also be had on ebay. Claimed to have the same refractive index as glass, so becomes invisible when cured - and won;t need sanding / polishing. Usually cures in sunlight, or faster with a UV lamp. Two sorts available, different viscosities - thin one for cracks, thick one for chips.

I've used this in extreme cases to repair stained glass, and it works well - provided you can get the UV into it to cure it (not always easy when it's repairing a break in coloured glass).

Hope this helps Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall