repair scratches in glass

Greetings,

I once purchased a car where the windshield wipers had been neglected and the clips had scratched a large arch in the car windshield causing it to fail inspection. I paid a man $10 to fix it but I don't know what he did. You might try calling around for how to fix a scratched windshield.

Hope this helps, William

William

Reply to
William.Deans

Cerium oxide and a hard felt wheel (like others have said) is what glassworkers use to polish beveled glass etc. However, window glass may be harder than 1/4" plate glass and may be harder than windshield glass. I have attempted in the past to polish out a scratch in window glass without very good results. I have also polished beveled glass and it turned out perfect.

How big of a window are we talking about? It might be easier just to replace the glass.

"windshield

Reply to
Ulysses

What you need is this glass polishing kit from JC Whitney:

It's just cerium oxide polish and a hard felt buff....Those things haven't changed much in a long time....

A bit pricey, but I got one earlier this year to remove some "windshield blade" scratches from the kid's car and it worked "slicker than snot on a brass doorknob".

You need an electric srill of course...

HTH,

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

P.S.

I fergot to add:

If you're in Red Sox country, I'd be glad to let you borrow my polishing kit, just e-mail me.

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Hi. Other than replacing the entire pane of glass, does anyone have products or methods they use to repair scratches in glass? The scratch is not able to be felt with my fingernail, so I think if there is a polishing compound or something like that it might work. Thanks for any ideas. Eric

Reply to
Eric and Megan Swope

they used to sell kits at auto supply stores for this purpose. haven't noticed lately if they still do.

bill

Reply to
rider89

Thanks guys. This scratch is in a window pane in my shed, so would the windshield repair kit, or the glass polishing kit from jc whitney work the same even though it isn't a windshield?

Thanks. Eric

Reply to
Eric and Megan Swope

It will work okay, but it will cost more than replacing a small piece of ordinary window glass, which is very inexpensive.

rusty redcloud

Reply to
Red Cloud®

It is only about 8 inches by 7 inches. I priced it at the hardware for a piece the above dimensions, 1/8 inch thick, and it was a 1.20. I'll probably go this route with this, but was just looking for ideas as well in case it would be in a larger piece of glass such as one of my house windows which instead of individual panes are a large piece.

Reply to
Eric and Megan Swope

That's interesting. Flat glass is nearly always soda-lime glass. Regardless of the process used to make it, it has about the same hardness (scratch resistance, not durability). It is refered to as soft glass not because of it's hardness, but because of it lower melting point neaded to ease the manufacture of it. John

Reply to
JohnR66

Greetings Johnny,

In colloquial English glass is a solid at room temperature. Solid has a different definition in colloquial English than in the science lab. Someone isn't wrong when they say an empty cardboard box has nothing in it because of all that air in there.

Hope this helps, William

Reply to
William.Deans