Subject Author Posted Replies

Reading the Electricity Meter
16 year old son got phone call at home asking for the electricity meter reading. He gave them the a reading on the high level meter meter by the front door but actually thought it was the gas meter....
12
12

3hr power cut thanks to some trees
Yes, some idiot phoned someone up to say that they could see some power cables arcing into the trees across the road from us. So, a contractor was sent to hack the trees. At ten to five in the...
101
101

How does this fit?
picturegram instructions suggest the pressed steel spanner like object in the photos can be fitted on the adjuster shaft as per TCV1, trouble is it doesn't fit. The 'spanner' has a rounded ends oblong...
17
17

Wiki: Door
If John doesn't mind using this.... NT Depends what you are trying to achieve. Cheap egg box doors will fill the gap and keep the draft out, but look pretty lame. Slightly posher egg box ones come in...
4
4

Another PC question
I have just installed a new system drive on my PC and am slowly getting everything up and running again and am looking for advice on TV software. I used to use Microsoft's media centre but never liked...
2
2

OT - Outlook Express to Thunderbird Migration Completed
Hi all Pretty OT I know, but as I asked the question here, it might help someone out there to post the answer back. I was trying to get my old OE mail folders on an XP box onto a new Win 7 PC running...
6
6

antislip cover for a manhole cover
I've got a metal manhole cover on my front path, and it is slippery when wet. I've looked at the antislip tape from toolstation at £4 - but does it stick on such a surface or is there a better way of...
15
15

Any experience of borehole deep soakaways?
Following on from my posting a few days ago regarding the lovely clay sump that appears to be developing in my garden, I'm wondering if the best means of ensuring proper ground drainage (and the...
42
42

Roofing quotes...
Blimey. I've been moaning out this before, having had quotes to retile and insulate (75mm and 50mm "celotex") a 11x7.5m bungalow coming in at 15-23k I have just had 2 back from people how have...
12
12

white wiring accessories: disposal of
Hi, Daft question, I'm sure the answer is bin them, but I may as well check. I have some old cable to take to the scrap yard. Do they take old light switches, sockets, plugs etc. or is there too...
14
14

Cheap USB controlled LED?
Anyone know of either an off-the-shelf, kit or design for a cheap USB controlled LED? I can find some kits around the £30 mark (no case, just boards and bits) but that seems a little steep. In the...
8
8

Grand Designs Watertower conversion Lambeth
Magnificent. I even liked the owners, and that's saying something.
15
15

Apple ipads (again)
We, apparently, need an ipad. Not sure why, but I'm told we do. Given the threads discussed here in the past, I can see what they're good for, but what size HD? The basic model is 16GB which is tiny...
483
483

Monobloc splashing
Is it a feature of all new monobloc tap/bathroom basin combinations that they splash water over the user even when the tap is only slightly open or am I just incredibly lucky? -- rbel
15
15

OT: Interesting project
Not all automata are antiques. The video shows some amazing craftsmanship. Chris
12
12