white wiring accessories: disposal of

Hi,

Daft question, I'm sure the answer is bin them, but I may as well check. I have some old cable to take to the scrap yard. Do they take old light switches, sockets, plugs etc. or is there too little brass in them to make it worthwhile? I'm guessing the latter and that I should only take the cable.

TIA

Reply to
Fred

ck. I have some old cable to take to the scrap yard. Do they take old light= switches, sockets, plugs etc. or is there too little brass in them to make= it worthwhile? I'm guessing the latter and that I should only take the cab= le. TIA

Ebay them? Here's an white old light switch on buy-it-now for =A345

RobertL

freecycle/freegle them, plenty of people would appreciate them

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I second the Freegle/Freecycle notion: I've got rid of a lot of stuff that way which I would previously have simply dumped, and it's gratifying to think that people can make productive and grateful use of one's rubbish. And of course it saves the time, effort and expense of disposing of it oneself.

On a related subject, and with apologies for the diversion, is there a lower amount of cabling that scrapyards are interested in buying? Is it only worth going to one if you have a substantial amount to get rid of?

Many thanks.

Bert

Reply to
Bert Coules

In article , Bert Coules writes

They pay by the kilo, regardless of the amount. Cable with the insulation still on gets far less, because not the total weight is copper.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Ah right, thanks. What's the going rate, do you know?

Bert

Reply to
Bert Coules

True, but there are some grabbing miserable peeps there. I got rid of an item, the buyer turned up in an almost new Merc, never even said thank you. Sadly there is no way to wean these out.

Reply to
Broadback

And some takers go on to sell the items, I believe. I've been lucky so far, with only decent and appreciative people taking up the offers.

Bert

Reply to
Bert Coules

Clean copper is over £3,000 a metric ton, possibly £3,500 or more. Which means about £3 - £3.50 a kilo Cable will be a lot less, so I would guess about 10 kilos would be worth it if you were passing a local scrappie.

Worth doing if you are scrapping out a lot of copper pipe, though. We swung in all the old radiators, all the old copper pipe, the cylinder, and a lot of other bits of iron including the old soil pipe. Cleared over £400 in total over two trips.

You can Google prices, for example

seem to be offering over £4 a kilo at the moment for good copper!

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David WE Roberts

That means my old woolies toggle switches must be worth a mint then... Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Smash them to bits and pick the brass/copper out.

Reply to
harry

Yes. People in white vans turn up. They often ring minutes after you make a posting on freecycle.

Reply to
harry

En el artículo , Bert Coules escribió:

I asked a scrappie a while back, but can't remember what the answer was, and prices change so fast. I know I got a quid a kilo for a pile of scrap lead. And no, it wasn't nicked :-)

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

I doubt if the amount I have to get rid of would raise more than a few pence, then. Thanks for the answer.

Bert

Reply to
Bert Coules

Thanks for the replies. I will look into joining free cycle.

Re. scrap cable, some people have posted here that they strip the insulation off to get a higher price, but I have never bothered. What I do is collect it in a bag and then take the bag when it is full and I am in the area. It depends if there someone near you. There's no point spending £10 on fuel to get there, if you only get £5 in payment. It's probably best to google for the price, like another post said, as the price will fluctuate daily. You get very little (relatively speaking) for iron or steel but anything like cable, with copper gets a higher price, making it worthwhile.

Reply to
Fred