Subject Author Posted Replies

Choosing a portable heater for a large space
Looking to get some heating for the holiday home. Med climate, about 10 deg C worst-case at night in winter, but usually nearer 15 deg C. My main concern is the downstairs. It's a big space, around...
3
3

What are these things called?
I have a Denon cassette deck and it has lost its hub retainers. These appear to be tiny little plastic circles with a hole in the middle that push over a spindle and slip into a narrow part on the...
12
12

10mm copper tube and adapters to 15mm TRVs
I need to do some work on the CH system shortly (adding/moving a radiator and swapping out a faulty TRV). Turns out that I already have a spare, boxed TRV at home (sized for 15 mm only) however the...
6
6

Retaining washer
Have a moulded plastic badge with round studs which protrude from the back, go through what it's mounted on and are secured by a push on washer thingie with spring fingers in the middle which grip the...
5
5

Noisy cistern valve
Hello We've had a problem with banging mains water pipes recently which I traced back to a cistern valve that I recently replaced. The valve is a very compact bottom entry type with a float on a very...
6
6

OT android 2.2 7" netbook £99
Any point for =A399? 7 inch netbook. Display: 7 Lcd Tft - maximum resolution 800 x 480. Storage= drive type: 4gb flash. System ram: 256mb. Operating System: google android= 2.2. Processor: via 8650...
21
21

Daily cost of Domestic Hot Water
I've been pursuing the cost of DHW. I was working off a report by the Energy Saving Trust of 2008, which indicates that their survey identified a statistical mean household consumption of ~120 litres/...
14
14

Connector for four wires
I have a string of outdoor lights which consists of four separate wires out of a wall wart. Unfortunately, I need to feed the string through a small 10mm hole in a wall but leave the wall wart...
20
20

Joists into brick - cement?
I'm fitting wooden joists into holes in a brick wall, and between blocks. Is it best to cement them in tight, or might dampness permeate? or to leave a gap and wedge them in with wood wedges and slate...
10
10

Insane Scot with disregard for electrical safety
could that be? http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-20463857Who
41
41

Servers
I'm thinking of using a server instead of my NAS drive. I would probably use Ubuntu. Any advice or problems to look out for?
18
18

Wash basin Tap Spanner
I need to replace the taps in the bathroom wash basin. There is a deep recess in the underside of the basin where the tap securing nut is located. The existing taps are OLD probably pre-metric. Looks...
2
2

Computer moving
I've got to arrange moving a few PC system units between offices. Does anyone know of a service that will turn up, box them up and move them. The original packaging has been thrown away, and TNT...
12
12

Incoming power cable fault
My son has a fault on the underground cable coming into his house and has no power at all. The engineer sent out to trace the fault says that there is power at the sub-station and his neighbours have...
8
8

Flexible cable size query
I've been landed with sorting a friend's Miele vacuum cleaner. Erratic operation traced to a break in the mains lead which might be traceable but better replaced. My problem is working out what the...
7
7