Extend mains cable

I need to extend the cable due to relocating a couple of plug sockets - is this sort of thing OK:

Thanks, Rob

Reply to
RJH

The cable feeding the sockets? You need to use proper junction boxes, alternatively if you want to use connector strip it needs to be in a proper enclosure.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Yes indeed - feeding the sockets. Junction box it is, thanks.

Rob

Reply to
RJH

Not really, you need to use a junction box which protects the terminals. Assuming it will be accessible at a later point - like simply under floorboards. If not accessible, you need use crimp connectors, or a special JB designed for this situation.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Grand, thanks. It'll be under the floorboards so I'll get a junction box. I did in fact go through the same exercise about 20 years ago but had forgotten.

Rob

Reply to
RJH

Our electricians extended the main cable by doing something (I assume soldering) and then enclosing it in shrink wrap.

It is a reputable firm so I presume this is allowed.

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

Indeed. There are five allowable options really...

Welding, Soldering, Crimping, Push/Snap terminals, and Screw terminals.

The first four can generally be used anywhere, but screw terminal connections need to remain accessible.

(in reality welding and soldering are less easy to apply "in the field" in most cases, so crimping or one of the newer maintenance free terminal systems like wago connectors are popular)

Reply to
John Rumm

More likely to be crimping.

The regs claim the first 3 can generally be used anywhere. It's the Push/Snap terminal manufacturers who claim theirs can too, but I've yet to see the regs modified to say so.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

IIUC, Wago state that theirs should be used within an enclosure. So for me, might as well use a junction box I think - neat as the Wago things look.

Rob

Reply to
RJH

are what they claim

Reply to
ARW

Cheers Andrew. You did make me work to find the regs on this one. IMHO you owe me a pint:-).

526.3 is what you quoted but look at the bottom left of appendix 15.

is the best I can find on line to say that MF is OK and part of the regs.

Reply to
ARW

I still don't see how a push-fit connection can be gas-tight (although a levered-in kind seems quite different).

Reply to
Adam Funk

The first page of the 2nd link shows a box with both "DO NOT COVER" & "MAINTENANCE FREE" printed on it. I guess the first item means something like "do not cover directly"? I.e., you could bury it in the floorboards without a trap for maintenance, but not pile insulation right on it? Or what?

Reply to
Adam Funk

I have no idea!

Reply to
ARW

The real win with Wago connectors is speed and ease of use. No need to tit about with a screwdriver and holding wires in terminals until tightened etc. They also claim they are maintenance free, although as Andy mentions the regs are silent on the issue at this time.

Reply to
John Rumm

"Ah, now this is interesting:

Is the MF logo mentioned in BS7671: Requirements for Electrical Installations?

Yes, the MF logo is mentioned in BS7671 Amendment No. 1. 2011 in Section

526.3 (vi).

Section 5 deals with the Selection and Erection of Equipment. Subsection 526. Electrical Connections: Requirement 526.3 Every connection shall be accessible for inspection, testing and maintenance except for the following: ...

526.3(vi) Equipment complying with BS5733 for a maintenance free accessory and marked with the symbol MF and installed in accordance with the manufacturers instructions"

I retract my comment about the regs being silent on the issue ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm