Subject Author Posted Replies

Daily cost of Domestic Hot Water
I've been pursuing the cost of DHW. I was working off a report by the Energy Saving Trust of 2008, which indicates that their survey identified a statistical mean household consumption of ~120 litres/...
14
14

Connector for four wires
I have a string of outdoor lights which consists of four separate wires out of a wall wart. Unfortunately, I need to feed the string through a small 10mm hole in a wall but leave the wall wart...
20
20

Joists into brick - cement?
I'm fitting wooden joists into holes in a brick wall, and between blocks. Is it best to cement them in tight, or might dampness permeate? or to leave a gap and wedge them in with wood wedges and slate...
10
10

Insane Scot with disregard for electrical safety
could that be? http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-20463857Who
41
41

Servers
I'm thinking of using a server instead of my NAS drive. I would probably use Ubuntu. Any advice or problems to look out for?
18
18

Wash basin Tap Spanner
I need to replace the taps in the bathroom wash basin. There is a deep recess in the underside of the basin where the tap securing nut is located. The existing taps are OLD probably pre-metric. Looks...
2
2

Computer moving
I've got to arrange moving a few PC system units between offices. Does anyone know of a service that will turn up, box them up and move them. The original packaging has been thrown away, and TNT...
12
12

Incoming power cable fault
My son has a fault on the underground cable coming into his house and has no power at all. The engineer sent out to trace the fault says that there is power at the sub-station and his neighbours have...
8
8

Flexible cable size query
I've been landed with sorting a friend's Miele vacuum cleaner. Erratic operation traced to a break in the mains lead which might be traceable but better replaced. My problem is working out what the...
7
7

Radio damaged by "wetting" - is it fixable
I recently turned off my radio with very wet hands. The radio is a Roberts Ecologic 7. I was surprised to find it spontaneously switched itself back on a few moments later - that's when I noticed the...
14
14

Petrol Stone Cutter problems.
Can get it to start ( not easy) It is a Rockworth from B&Q about 3 years ago, hasn't been used that much. I can't get it to rev up to cutting speed. The throttle trigger has no effect. Adjusting a...
12
12

De Walt nail gun
DeWalt DC618KN 18V 63mm Cordless Nail Gun - Bare Mine cost =A3365 or so if I remember correctly. I can't remember how many batteries it had. 2 or 3. Can't be three can it? Anyway it got nicked a few...
8
8

Mosaic Tiles
I hate mosaics. I detest mosaics. They should be banned. Have spent much of yesterday and today putting up a tiny border of "header-stretcher bond" mosaics. First attempt, I found I could not get them...
4
4

How much will new timber skirtings shrink?
I need to replace a long length of skirting board (3.8m long to be precise) and I'm concerned how much it may shrink having been transferred from the timber yard (ie under cover but open to the...
15
15

Yea - roofing starts next week
Scaffolders are coming tomorrow. I will spend the weekend drilling the new window frames and mounting the uPVC sills ready to install at the drop of a hat when the guys get to that part of the dormer....
27
27