gravel coverage

House being rented out for a while and tenants wont want to do gardening ,s o ieant to cover the front garden with membrane and gravel. So how much of the larger gravel ( ??20mm) do i need to buy to cover 4.8m X 3 m to a suitable depth ?a couple of inches (5cm)

the volume is easy , but they sell the stuff by weight. So whats the density of larger size gravel ?

thanks

paul

Reply to
Paul Cooper

ng ,s o ieant to cover the front garden with membrane and gravel.

X 3 m to a suitable depth ?a couple of inches (5cm)

A cubic metre of gravel wieghs between 1.5 and 2.0tons. Depending on what rock it is, how small it is and whether pebbles or crushed rock.

Cheapest is tobuy loose on tipper wagon. Ring any road haulier, they will get it for you COD usually. Or credit card.

Four wheel truck carries ten ton. Six wheel truck carries sixteen ton. Eight wheel carries twenty ton.

Reply to
harry

ieant to cover the front garden with membrane and gravel.

m to a suitable depth ?a couple of inches (5cm)

Coverage rates for gravels are typically 15-20 m² per tonne at 35mm thick according to;

You have 14.4 sq/m.

You need at least 35mm and an edge all round to stop in spreading.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I would suggest even with the gravel down that early spring and late summer go over it with a watering can of weedkiller as the weeds will eventually pop through. I use sodium chlorate (old stock) but not sure if thats still available.

Reply to
ss

Not only unavailable, but illegal to use.

Reply to
Huge

EU?

Reply to
Frank Erskine

ieant to cover the front garden with membrane and gravel.

m to a suitable depth ?a couple of inches (5cm)

about 3 tonnes a cu meter

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Hope this is not going to be used as a driveway, round my area some bright sparks have done this with the result that the footway and rouad nearby is covered in grvel and the hard standing isn't any more!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Personally, 10mm pea gravel is best suited for a garden.

Jim

Reply to
Jim.G1SSO

IS that the size cats like?

Reply to
mogga

I've never had any trouble with cats on the gravel, only on the flowerbeds

Jim

Reply to
Jim.G1SSO

yup biggest kitty litter for miles.......

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Yep.

Reply to
Huge

So it's available in Norway and Switzerland, then?

Reply to
Adrian